maxxum 5, canon eos elan 7, or nikon 80

cpelsy2k1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys,

I posted a week back about wanting a good semi pro SLR. After figuring out my price range and looking at reviews ive narrowed it down to these three. Anyone who has had one of the above could you let me know the +/- and everybody else any one of the above better than the rest? thanks!

All three are good cameras, and if you find one that seems more right to you, then get it. But if it where my money, I would opt for the Canon. The availability of lenses and the ability to move into digital would be my motivation.

By move to digital do you mean take the lenses with me to a digital body?

I had the same choice as you and went with the Minolta. I can't remember why exactly (probably down to it winning loads of awards when it came out), which goes to show how close they are. Whatever you choose you'll be happy with. As far as I know, Canon use the same mount for their digital and film camera's and I assume it's the same for Nikon as well. I do know that Minolta do use the same lenses. You also have the added bonus of the image stabilisation being camera side, so you won't have to buy expensive lenses for the same thing...

Seeing as you're asking about film though. Like I said, they're all really close. Read as many reviews as you can find online and if you're still stuck go to a camera shop and hold each one. Just don't let them push you into a choice. ;)

It's all pretty much the same... you have to decide what system you want to have.

The body is pretty much irrelevant. they focus the same, and meter the same.

But when you get down to lens choices, flashes, other pro bodies, possibility of digital... Nikon and Canon are better for sure. Which one is better is REALLY subjective and there's been lots of flaming everywhere as to the "nikon vs canon" topic.

Both nikon and canon are used by pros and have the accessories and complete camera systems. You can't really know what you'd need and want, so at this point it's a gamble for you between nikon and canon.

Close your eyes and draw the straw.

I would onlt add that the Nikon "F" mount has a wider range of lenses available. The mount has been the same since 1959.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back