Maxxum 7 or 9

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by sdgmusic, Jun 21, 2007.

1. sdgmusic

sdgmusic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am looking at getting a good film camera. I am looking at the Minolta Maxxum 7 or 9. I am not pro but I like taking good photos. what is the difference between the maxxum and dynax?

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

This site compares the differences in specification. Basically the 9 will give you a max shutter speed of 1/12000 (as opposed to 1/8000 on the 7), 100% viewfinder coverage (instead of 92% - but has a smaller magnification than the 7), a frame rate of 5fps instead of 4... most importantly though the 9 is all-metal.

I considered getting a Dynax 9 but since it is a true professional camera the prices were still high. I got a Dynax 7 instead. It's a really great camera. I mean great. I really can't emphasise how good it is when compared to similar priced alternatives. It usually takes a while to get used to a camera - with the Dynax 7 as soon as I held it I was comfortable and knew exactly how to control the autofocus, metering, exposure compensation etc. I had to part-exchange my Minolta gear to pay for some new Pentax glass, but when I can afford to it I will buy another Dynax 7. There is really only one thing that would persuade me to go for the 9 - the metal body. But the 7 feels solid enough. If having a metal body or 5fps instead of 4 is the most important thing for you then go for the 9. Otherwise I'd say get the 7.

3. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think Maxxum is the name in the USA and Dynax the name in Europe; same cameras.

4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Sorry I missed that part - Steph is right, same cameras - Maxxum in the US, Dynax in Europe, and I believe Alpha (now the name for the Sony cameras) in Asia. Apart from the name I don't know of any difference.