May I use my canon lens on a digital camera?

Gabriel Herrera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi folks, I´m a graphic designer and 3d artist, Recently I begin studing photography. I hope someday I could take great pictures like the picture´s gallery in this forum.

A friend has a analog reflex camera. I wonder if it is posible use this lens on a digital camera. These are photos of the lens.

Gabriel

len_canon1.jpg

len_canon2.jpg

Last edited:
Those are Canon FD lenses. Unfortunately, Canon changed their mount to the EOS system (EF and EF-S lenses) and you cannot use these FD mount lenses on the digital line. (BTW, Welcome to TPF. I lived in Guadalajara in 1981-1983 -- a beautiful city!)

Thans icassel, what a shame :( I was hopeful that Canon could sell an adaptor or somthing like this

Sorry for the late reply, (interesting to know that you lived in my city)

Greetings

There are adapters, but they aren't usually a good option.

When Canon made the switch, back around 1987, the angered many photographers who had a lot of money invested in FD lenses like this. Canon did make a high quality adapter, but it wasn't sold to the public, just professional photographers. You can still buy these on E-bay etc. but they are not cheap.

Other companies have made adapters but I haven't heard of any that are as high quality as the Canon ones.
There are two types, with glass and without glass. The type without glass won't affect the image quality at all, but they will prevent the lens from focusing to infinity. The type with glass are made so that it can keep infinity focus, but the image quality is then dependent on the quality of the glass lens in the adapter.

The general consensus is that it's not worth it unless you have some really high quality FD lenses.

Most reactions

Back