Maybe I didn't...Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus.....?

**You can ignore this reply if you have decided not to purchase a Nikon. If there is still a chance you may get one then proceed with caution.

Just to confirm what some other people have said. Don't get the Nikon D40; I would do my best to save for the D80. I just bought a D40 this February and 4 months later I am looking to sell the D40 and get the D80. Don't get me wrong the D40 is a great camera but is a camera that you can quickly grow out of. I find myself going to the menu system to much, I would rather have a sub-command dial and some easy access buttons to change settings. Unfortunately I had to get the cheapest DSLR because my wife was not excited on how much I wanted to spend on a camera, but after she saw what a difference a DSLR can do, she is more supportive so next year when the big tax return comes in, I'm getting the D80. As for now I just go to B&H web site and stare at the picture and read the specifications over and over.

BTW I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but you should look at B&H web site for a camera they may be a little cheaper, plus as far as the D80 they have like 3 different kits you can buy. Hope this helps.

As mentioned in the above reply, visit the B&H website. I looked several places and spent a lot of time online comparing prices, and I really think they offer the best. Quick processing and very helpful.

They currently have the d80 w/the Nikon 18-135mm and 2 SanDisk 2GB cards for $1169.95.

Lol@"what camera to get" -

Nikon. Du'h. But if the D80 is too expensive, I guess the XTi is just as well, but depending on your comfort level (as far as onlnie purchasing is concerned) - you can get RIDICULOUS good deals on eBay and B&H (stay away from Adorama). I got mine and a 50mm f/1.8 for 900 bucks.

The D80 IS alot of camera, but its not so advanced that a new user can't get into it, and not so ameteur that you'll grow out of it in like a year (well maybe if you're a photog-wunderkind).

I love the D80 - it just feels smoother than the D50, and has so much more in-camera functionality. I'm sure theres tons of stuff I still haven't even touched on the thing.

This is a review of the D40. The two, the D80 and D40/x, are most definitely not the "same" camera. As has been stated, the D40/x has no internal focus, which means if your lens MUST be AF, or its manual focus all the way. If you're that good to where you can see that something is sharp and in focus - then you've got no problem. However, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess youre just like a great number of folks and just now venturing into the wide world of dSLR'ing.

Both will take great pictures, if that's all you're going for.

The differences between the two probably aren't going to matter much to a "new" user, but DPreview and this site have the differences between the two: 6MP versus 10MP and "increased" FPS shooting.

Uhm. . .ok?

0-0

If all you're going to use this camera for is family vacation type photos, I'd suggest a P&S like the S3IS (can take video too) or that G5 (which arent cheap). I mean you're looking at 600+ dollars for something you're just gonna use to snap pictures with. If you're getting the camera for "family photos" and not "photography" - I'd just go with a higher end P&S. Dont even have to worry about lenses.

Just my personal opinion.

This is really something that my wife and I would like to get into, I took a look at some classes to sign my wife and I up for her B-Day/ which this camera would be her Gift also, So with that said ......... how about this

Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera with Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. http://www.wisetronics.com/ProductDe...de=nkd80k18135

Does this look like a good deal?

If you're actually going to use it for photograph than look here or this which is who I got my D80 from. Then get a used lens from a site like B&H, and you're good to go. All for under 1G.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wise Electronics sounds like a place to stay away from. When dealing with online stores for photo and electronics equipment it is best to deal with a well known company. I deal with B&H, Adorama and Calumet only. The other stores will sell import equipment without a USA warranty, sell the battery/software/strap/etc. at extra cost or pressure you to buy accessories you either don't want or can't afford. Buyer beware!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back