DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_0011.jpg

Tell me what you think could make this better. I was gonig for beautiful colors, and with a 2 second self timer, mirrorlockup, tripod made photos, at F/8 on my 50 1.8, I also wanted sharpness, it's only a JPEG thuogh so I could've gotten more detail from RAW. This is unedited. what can I do: editing, or photographically to make this better?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/eastermonkey/Rx-7/IMG_0010.jpg
is this one better? it seems too centered but it doesn't have the trash on the ground also the trees on the hill seem to lose some "POW!!!!" they have in the first image. (nevermind, the "endless" feeling of the building isn't in this photo and it kills it, return to critiquing the first one only)

i honestly dont see anything in any of those two pictures

Fair enough, uninteresting subject matter? bad composition? bad exposure? bad contrast? because it makes it sound like bad everything but that doesn't give me a whole lot to work with. Anything stands out to you the most?

Well for me the composition here is a turn off...I don't mind seeing abstract type shots of a car, ( close ups', curves in fenders/ Grill/ hood ornament/ etc, etc..) but a half a car ?? I mean the car is the subject , then you should show it..

you also have almost to much frame here that takes away from the car, but does highlight some trash on ground ...ouch...

The orange cone should be gone...

The car is actually showing to much shadow/ and tree reflection...

car photos are tuff, ( reflections) I mean you could pull off a great shot, showing off detail/ curves/ sheen, / angle/ and then notice a reflection on a hubcap or chrome bumper.... so the car itself here is just picking up to much shadow, and reflection...

Think I would try a re shoot in an area thats more open...

Keep the lights down. They break the lines of the car.

I'm with New England on this. For starters; my eyes are drawn to the cone, it's really colourful and so it takes away from the car. Then there's that piece of paper (?). If you want to show us the beauty of the car, make sure everything in the pic is beautiful.
And yes, it's strange you cut off a (it seems random) part of the car.
And that wall is not leading towards the car, it's leading over it and away. So maybe you're angle could be better.
Just my observations. Are you going to reshoot? Keep 'm coming!

pascal

Aw c'mon- Can't you at least try?

I'm with New England on this. For starters; my eyes are drawn to the cone, it's really colourful and so it takes away from the car. Then there's that piece of paper (?). If you want to show us the beauty of the car, make sure everything in the pic is beautiful.
And yes, it's strange you cut off a (it seems random) part of the car.
And that wall is not leading towards the car, it's leading over it and away. So maybe you're angle could be better.
Just my observations. Are you going to reshoot? Keep 'm coming!

pascal
I'll definitely do more. You guys want the same place or should I do some location shopping? Thanks for the tips. I'll give you a link to a page with all the pictures from the shoot.

http://www.mazdaforum.com/m_44267/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#44314

Personally I don't know whats in your area , but I would get out in the open away from trees or other unwanted reflections... maybe something like an old brick building, dull in color might work.. with some nice clean pavement, check out some industrial sites that are closed on maybe a sunday , and hit there parking lots.. You want the car/ not the background..

Seems to be a little too much empty space on the left.

Hey DSLRnoob, first, I like to say that I like the idea very much. If you know what one half of the car look like, then you don't need to see the other half right? You had a pretty good composition to start with, just need a little cropping here and there to clean up the photograph. I'm also a car guy so maybe if that have something with it.

Two thing that I would suggest on your next shoot would be lower the f number to blurr out the background a little bit more, sort of like a portrait. f8 seem a bit high. Anyway, since your picture are okay to edit, I'll show what I did and see if you like it.

I took out the majority of of the background cause I don't know how to blur it out in post-processing, I think it look better without it anyway since it really make the car the main subject. I also make the picture look a little long with that crop, hopefully that will make the look fast even at stand still, hopefully! I also play with the color a little bit to give the car a little older and sunnier look, that's up to taste more than anything else.

IMG_0011edited.jpg

I also convert the picture into B&W, I think it's easier to follow the curve of the car in this picture. I was also able to bump up the contrast which is great cause it sort like giving a thorough wash and wax! Hope you like this one too, and thanks for such a creative idea, and thank you for letting me play with it. Good work.

IMG_0011editedBW.jpg

Ahh thanks, I was hoping I'd get a car guy or 2 to give me a reply. I like the first edit (the 2nd seems a tad TOO contrasty, my car isn't chrome) and I'm glad you found fun in editing them. I'll be posting more up as I try to get this car photography right before my friends ask for photoshoots.

Also, it's an Rx-7 turbo....... it ALWAYS looks fast at standstill :)

Glad you enjoyed the photos, I'll try and take ALL of your advice guys. thanks, that is what I posted my photos in this critique for. I've only been photographing for 5 months (seriously, my XT is my first camera) and this was my first critique, I was scared I'd get chewed up, but thank you all for your constructive comments.

Ok folks tell me if I'm learning my lesson. Here are 2 edits I did, one with some artificial bokeh and one without. For both I cropped, added a black border, upped the contrast and saturation a tad, and cloned out the cone.

Edit 1 (no bokeh)
edit001.jpg

Edit 2 (added bokeh)

edit002.jpg

AHH ! I forgot to blur the leaves showing beteen the glass hatch! Just know that i'm consious of that and don't let it effect your critique, just get the general idea and I'll change it later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back