MB-D11 Battery Grip

Bluffkin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey All.

As some of you know, I am trying to get into portrait photography some more, so recently bought an external strobe set from Lencarta.

My question is, My camera will now have to have a wireless remote fitted to the hot shoe so I can sync the flashes, will this cause any concerning strain on my cameras battery without a grip? And would you recommend getting one?

Also, I tried to look around but couldn't find an answer to this question either...is the battery grip a battery also? Or do I need to actually add the battery to it? So I would need to buy the grip, then an additional battery. I know it can take AA batteries, but would rather involve that bit in this thread.

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:
What kind of batter? Hopefully, pancake, 'cause I've got a hankering for pancakes.

J/K.

Putting a grip on a camera will not affect how anything attached to the shoe will stress the camera. Nikon grips like the MB-D11 will also accept a second battery just like what's in the camera.

Getting a grip is a personal choice. Some people swear by 'em, others swear at 'em.

Meh... proll! Waffles all the way baby!

:lol:

As Sparky indicated, the trigger will cause no additional power drain on your camera, however, I am firmly in the 'pro-grip' camp. Not only do I like the additional battery life (you either add a second camera battery or in some multiple 'AA' batteries), but I find that the camera has a much better balance and fits more comfortably in my hand. These benefits greatly outweigh the slight increase in weight.

Doh! How did I make that typo three times! Fixed :p

Thank all. I really like my camera bulky. So adding it is fine for me.

So for example, right now I have a Nikon D7000 with the battery it came with. If I buy a grip, do I get more battery life straight away? Or does that only come when I add another battery? Does that make sense? I know adding a battery will give me more life (of course) but is the grip there just to support the extra battery? not provide anything right out the box (apart from the additional comfort etc)

Proof reading for anymore batter - Check.

xD

Doh! How did I make that typo three times! Fixed :p

Thank all. I really like my camera bulky. So adding it is fine for me.

So for example, right now I have a Nikon D7000 with the battery it came with. If I buy a grip, do I get more battery life straight away? Or does that only come when I add another battery? Does that make sense? I know adding a battery will give me more life (of course) but is the grip there just to support the extra battery? not provide anything right out the box (apart from the additional comfort etc)

Proof reading for anymore batter - Check.

xD

Yes! You get two batteries(one in camera and one in the grip). If you're interested, I have a perfect one for sale! Like new, only asking $135 plus shipping [emoji106][emoji106]

You need to put batteries of some sort in the grip to get more total shooting power for the camera. You can set the camera to use the grip battery (batteries) first, then the camera, or the other way around.

The grip can hold another power source, but it's usually not purchased for that feature alone. It makes holding the camera a whole lot easier, especially in portrait orientation. Unless they already have a spare battery, most people buy a grip and a second battery at the same time.

I prefer a grip, at least in most of the situations I shoot in. But there are those that will tell you they hate them. It's totally a personal choice.... there is no perfect answer.

Now.... what's for breakfast?

Ok, So I will need to buy the grip, and then an extra battery should I need the extra life.
That's all I needed to know! Thank you all!!!
D-B-J - I've messaged you directly :)

Steve

You don't NEED another battery. The grip will work as designed without one in it.

Some people use a grip without a battery in it. You'll only get the exact amount of shooting power you had before. Having another battery in the grip just (roughly) doubles the time between needing to charge the battery.

Now, since I didn't get my pancakes, what's for lunch?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back