Me and a model, our relationship is straining.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I'm having a schedule issue with the model. She wanted me to do photo shoots yesterday or today, but she contacted me the last minute. I prefer to have her to let me know a day of ahead of time before the shootings begin, so I can charge all my batteries and pack up all my gear and getting ready to shoot the next day. Any advice?

If you're not ready to shoot then you're not ready to shoot - ergo you can't shoot - ergo you won't be going - ergo you tell her that its too short notice.

Then you offer her an alternative date in the near future when you are available to shoot.

Then you get yourself some good AA batteries like the enloop ones that keep their charge and get enough back-up batteries and organise yourself so that your camera has batteries ready and your flash has batteries ready every day if you think you'll get more short term shoot opportunities like this.

Get your stuff ready and keep it ready. Many times, good shoots are spur of the moment things, so...be READY!!!!

Well, okay, I apologized to the model. I did told her I'm available these days. I though she would forgot about it, and I ended up having other plans. It is not for business. It is time for prints.

My concern is the dslr battery, can the battery be left to full charged for a long time. Will the battery degrade?

My concern is the dslr battery, can the battery be left to full charged for a long time. Will the battery degrade?

What do you mean; "degrade"?

I've kept a battery in the camera for 2 or 3 months and it just worked.

What do you mean; "degrade"?

I've kept a battery in the camera for 2 or 3 months and it just worked.

I found this in the manual on page 29. "Storing the battery when it is fully charged may lower the battery's performance."

Yes, the battery will drain on it's own. Plus, I don't really know how these chargers work. I try to charge after I shoot and before to top it off. But maybe there is a better way.

Get a Nikon. They have astounding battery management in terms of keeping you updated as to frames shot, charge % remaining, and also where the battery is in its life cycle. My D2x battery is from May of 2005, still going strong, but has moved to the last bar on its "life line". THIS is from my D3x, and I charged the battery one week ago tonight, and have not used this camera for 7 days and two hours...here's how much battery it has left after one full week:
D3x battery indicator_1 week in-camera.JPG

I don't think it's about switching brands. It's more about being prepared. In my previous life as an avid photographer in the 80s, I did a number of model shoots. My attitude became, models are flaky. If that hasn't changed (I have no reason to believe it has), then be a boyscout and be prepared. If that means buying more batteries, extra memory cards or whatever, then do so. If you don't, then the opportunity to make beautiful pictures is reduced. If you can't count on your models, make sure you can count on your equipment - whatever brand you choose to use. And, of course, that also means you have to be flexible enough to take advantage of those opportunities. Don't let the excuse be your equipment wasn't ready. Let it be, "I'm sorry, I have a previously scheduled shoot at that time. Can we schedule this for..."

Jim

A couple of spare batteries for the camera, extra battery charger and three sets of rechargeable batteries for speedlights does not cost a lot compared to your investment in camera equipment. Add an inverter and cheap power strip for the car, then batteries can be charged while shooting or driving.

Phil

To be honest you shouldn't have any problem storing the camera with the batteries charged. That really only becomes an issue if you're not using it for half a year or more at a time - then you can get trouble.

Though from what you say chances are you won't have the camera out-of-action for all that long.

To be honest you shouldn't have any problem storing the camera with the batteries charged. That really only becomes an issue if you're not using it for half a year or more at a time - then you can get trouble.

Though from what you say chances are you won't have the camera out-of-action for all that long.

True, I pretty much shoot my DSLR every one to two weeks at the time.

I have a AA batter pack for my grip, so I keep a set of batteries for that handy just in case i need it. Haven't had to go to that yet with my two batteries but it should help me get through in a pinch. The next move would be to get an extra set of batteries.

How old are you?
How did she contact you? Phone? E-mail? In person?
Communicate with people, written and verbal, in a professional manner if you want others to respect your time.

You don't tell the model you are not prepared or that you require at least a days notice.
You simply say you have already made your schedule for today, and you can accommodate her tomorrow.

Most reactions

Back