Medium Format advice

Shotage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

Been shooting digital for about 4 or 5 years, but have been loving using 35mm for the last 6 months and now think I'm ready for MF.

I can't actually afford to buy right now, but hopefully in a couple of months. I will be wanting to buy used equipment and was thinking of a Bronica set up with a standard lens.

I was thinking in the region of about £200 - £300. Is this realistic and can anyone offer any advice.

Thanks very much.
Andy

When you say you wnat to move onto Medium Format, do you mean film?

Theres a thread that was going about a week ago that will probably answer all you need. Search for medium format.

Not sure i that covered digital but its probably wirth resurrecting.

Shotage said:
Hi,

Been shooting digital for about 4 or 5 years, but have been loving using 35mm for the last 6 months and now think I'm ready for MF.

I can't actually afford to buy right now, but hopefully in a couple of months. I will be wanting to buy used equipment and was thinking of a Bronica set up with a standard lens.

I was thinking in the region of about £200 - £300. Is this realistic and can anyone offer any advice.

Thanks very much.
Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum. I understand that a couple of months ago you could buy a full ETRSi Bronica kit brand-new for just under £400. I would think that eBay would have lots of near mint MF kit for similar sums of money. You can actually look at getting a Hasselblad 500c/m for about £400 if your budget will stretch a little.

If you're not sure about what to choose, don't forget the TLR cameras as these can be had for pocket money prices. They're a good way to get used to a reversed image and slowing down your picture taking process!

Good luck

Rob

Ditto Rob on the TLRs. One advantage: no mirror shake, which on a medium format SLR is considerable. Used Rolleicords are top notch and affordable, used Rolleiflexes a little more money but superb. The excellent and indestructible Mamiya C series features first-rate interchangeable lenses. All 6x6cm negs.

A new Mamiya 654E is an entry-level MF SLR that is very affordable and offers a 6x4.5cm negative

Have been fooling with a MF Rapid-Omega that shoots a 6x7cm neg, almost feels like large format (but for the convergence!)

I got myself a Yashica A TLR just to see what meduim format is like. 100 bucks with a 6 month warranty.

If still use it after a year, I'll probably get a Hassy

I shot a lot of nice work with a Mamiya 645 and the lenses are more or less affordable. I also had Hasselblads, but liked the Mamiya much better as it was more user friendly and you can actually hold one in your hands comfortably.

I didn't see a difference in the lenses, myself.

www.jefferyraymond.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back