Medium Format Anyone?

Dave_D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone here shoot it? In my short time here on the forums, my observations are that the general populus use digital. I've picked up on a few who use 35mm, but haven't come across any specific mention of mdeium format or otherwise. Just curious.

Quite a few people here shoot medium format, and there are some that shoot large format too.
I, for one, have a full 6x6 kit which I prefer to use for portraits. I also keep a 5x4 Speed Graphic for old times sake. I got rid of my technical 5x4 and 10x8 a while back. I just don't have the time (or the darkroom) to do much film work anymore.
These days I'm happy just to explore the potential of digital. In some respects it's not as good as film, but in others it is superior. I'm interested in how it changes the way I work.

I shoot some MF when I get around to it. I've only got a Holga but I find it's a lot of fun and I love the look of the B&Ws I get out of it.
I find it's a bit more effort than shooting digital. Plus to put photos up on the forum here - it means I have to be bothered to scan the images. And for the most part I'm just too lazy.

I got myself a Yashica A to experiment with square format.

And the simplicity of the TLR is really nice. No mirror slap, and you can perv the streets without getting much attention. :p

I shoot MF, I use a Hasselblad + four lenses (50,80,150,250). I also do some 6x9 on either a Zeiss Ikonta or Kodak Monitor, you'd be surprised at the quality. I have other MF cameras that I shot with, like a Zeiss Super Ikonta A (6x4.5), Koni Omega (6x7) but rarely.

We use a Yashica too. We haven't run a roll of film through the photo lab yet because we don't use it all that often but I'm sure once we finish this one, we'll be more than happy to share with the rest of the class.

I've been thinking about buying a cheap, used MF camera...local store has a Mamiya C220 or a Yashica Mat 124 both for around $200. Been considering buying one and taking some MF landscape shots on my next trip out west.

I picked up an old Rolleiflex and do some medium format along with all of the digital I shoot. I think you'll find a lot of the people here like to use all sorts of different things, but most do shoot digital as one of them.

bronica SQ-A here. also have had a yashicamat 124g and a couple of old folders from my grandmothers collection.

when you see your first medium format shots enlarged...your breathe will catch a little bit..trust me!

MDowdey said:
when you see your first medium format shots enlarged...your breathe will catch a little bit..trust me!

Very true!!! I shoot a fair amount of digital but it still doesn't compare to medium format. Everytime I use medium format, I'm still blown away. :mrgreen:

I only shoot film, digital cameras leave me cold. I have a darkroom and like to develop my own prints. :lovey:

I mainly shoot 35mm, for various reasons, but have access to my husband's Rollei's (when he lets go of them), and I shoot a Holga and recently acquired an Agfa Super Isolette (MF folder) which does an amazing job. :)

I'm glad I am not the only one then. I have shot medium format for a few years now. I have a few Mamiya 6x7's and a Bronica 645 kit. I also shoot 35mm often. I have digital which is a little pocket Sony point and shoot that almost doesn't even count. It's pretty much the wifes snap shot camera. I have been playing around with Photoshop for about 8 years including some teaching and still can't get past the notion of computers destroying the credibility of photography. That is the main reason I have not yet taken the plunge to digital. I do realize whether by filters and messing around in my darkroom or manipulating things on the computer; alterations are alterations so it shouldn't matter. However, when I see the pros snapping away on a job and immediately looking at the results on their display I can't help but think, where is their confidence? That little display seems to have become a security blanket and I'm not interrested in it Just yet. Someday maybe, but for now taking 15-30 minutes setting up for a shot and waiting for the lab is fine with me.

Dave_D said:
when I see the pros snapping away on a job and immediately looking at the result on their display I can't help but think, where is their confidence.

I can't speak for the pros but I rarely look at the lcd on my 10D. It's nice to make sure you nabbed the shot but even when I shoot film, I can pretty much "feel" whether I got the shot that I needed or not. With digital, looking at the lcd only confirms composition. You can't rely on it for exposure or focus.

Dave_D said:
However, when I see the pros snapping away on a job and immediately looking at the results on their display I can't help but think, where is their confidence? That little display seems to have become a security blanket and I'm not interrested in it Just yet. Someday maybe, but for now taking 15-30 minutes setting up for a shot and waiting for the lab is fine with me.

Yeah, because it makes SOOOO much sense to have a digital camera and NOT use one of its most useful and salient features... :er:

RikWriter said:
Yeah, because it makes SOOOO much sense to have a digital camera and NOT use one of its most useful and salient features... :er:

Unless I misread you, there's no need for sarcasm here. If you like to use the LCD on your digital, hey... more power to you! Dave simply expressed his opinion.

Peace now.

Most reactions

Back