Medium format camera recomendations?

Merisit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi There. I am new to this forum and to medium format photography. I am interested in purchasing a med. format camera. What are your favorites? Is there a web site that you all recommend that would contain opinions about different cameras?
Thank you!

try to find a local camera store that sells used cameras. and it largely depends on how deep your pockets are. i got a nice mf camera(one where you can actually change lenses) used at my local camera store for 270. you can spend anything in that range all the way up to thousands of dollars for a good, new camera. i wont mention any brands cause i honestly dont know a ton about them. BUT i have been told several times to stay away from holga.

Merisit said:
Hi There. I am new to this forum and to medium format photography. I am interested in purchasing a med. format camera. What are your favorites? Is there a web site that you all recommend that would contain opinions about different cameras?
Thank you!

hi merisit. look at my for sale camera on this forum, its priced very reasonably and you would have loads of fun with it!

For a first medium format camera, seriously consider a twin lens reflex. There are plenty of advantages to going that route, chief among them the great value of TLRs these days. Wait for Ksmattfish to get over here, he'll help you out immensely.

The Yashicamat 124-G is a great value, (they can usually be found for around $100 on eBay. Very sharp lens, compact size, built in light meter, and extroardinarily quiet shutter.

The Mamiya TLRs are unique in that they support interchangeable lenses. The models go from the C-2, C-3, C-22, C-33, C-220, C-330, C-330F, and C-330S. They are all bigger than the average TLR, but their features justify their size and heft.

The 3 series have more bells and whistles, like automatic shutter cocking and a parallax indicator, and the higher the number, the more sophisticated the camera is. The older ones (C-33 and down) tend to be much heavier.

I shoot a C-330F and love it, but any medium format camera is capable of creating stunning images. (You may also want to look into medium format folders)

Hi all...thanks for the replies. I am looking to do some fine art black and white photos (nothing commercial) with mostly natural lighting. Figures, landscapes etc...I have lots of experience with 35 mm and digital...I like simple cameras and wouldn't use a ton of bells and whistles. I’m looking to spend less than $300 if that's feasible for a good medium format.

Thanks!

try and find a used mamiya, i love c330. like i said got it for like 270, spend that 30 dollars on film :)

When buying an old camera be sure to be prepared to invest a few more dollars in over due maintenance like seals adn lens CLA. Some of this, the foam seals are DIY type work you can save you quite a few dollars on.

TLRs are great and selling cheap. Mamiya C330s built like tanks, plenty for for sale and cheap. Lenses are still available and still being repaired by Mamiya.

If you're a bargain hunter like me, look for a TLR like a YashicaMat. I have 124G and have been SUPER happy with it. I spent about $170 on it.

I just recently picked up a Pentacon 6 for about $150.

Are you going to hand hold or use on a tripod?

I prefer a TLR if I'm going to hand hold. They are usually smaller and lighter than an SLR, and no mirror slap.

Most of the common medium format SLRs on the used market are going for a heck of a deal these days. For $300 check out a Bronica, like MDowdey's. They are great cameras.

Might also try an AGFA Clack, or AGFA Isola. You can easily get them on Ebay for less than $30.00 I have a bunch of them.

They take standard 120 film. The Clack will give you a 6X9cm negative, and the Isola will give you a 6x6cm negative.

They were made back in the 1950s and 1960s and were very popular in Europe. Not a lot (ok no) bells and whistles but take great pictures.

There is also a 6x6 version of the Clack called the Clik. I have been very impressed with the shots I've seen from the Clack and Clik. I pretty much put them in the fantastic plastic camera category.

303villain said:
try and find a used mamiya, i love c330. like i said got it for like 270, spend that 30 dollars on film :)

mountainlander said:
If you're a bargain hunter like me, look for a TLR like a YashicaMat. I have 124G and have been SUPER happy with it. I spent about $170 on it.

I just recently picked up a Pentacon 6 for about $150.

I paid $190 for my C330F. If you keep your eyes open and be patient, some great deals can be found. The hardest part is figuring out what you want.

Yep, C330S Mamiya is an amazing thing, plus it's heavy enough to use as a weapon -- 5 lbs roughly. But cunningly designed, and the interchangable lens system is a real plus. The nice thing is that you can start with a body and one lens (80mm) and build a nice kit over time as you get more $ for other lenses. Mamiya will still service the later "black" lenses too.

Have been messing with a Koni-Omega Rapid 200 I got and kind of like it a lot -- 3 outstanding Hexanon lenses, 2 magazine backs, great smooth rangefinder, etc. The poor man's Mamiya 7 -- compare roughly $500 for the complete kit with $2700 for the Mamiya 7 kit. You can get a good Koni-Omega Rapid with 90mm Hexanon lens for a couple hundred bucks. It has the added advantage of being one of the stranger-looking cameras. Also big and heavy, 5.25 lbs, great for keeping muggers at bay.

I just remembered, don't overlook the Agfa folders from the early 1950s, the Agfa Isolette 1, 2, & 3. Two and Three are rangefinder types. I have an Isolette 1, a "guess-how-far-you-are-from-the-subject" type, that I paid $60 for, great condition, bellows light-tight, shutter crisp. Functions so simple a small kid could work it. Takes 6x6cm negatives on 120 film, and folds up compactly enough to slip into a jacket pocket.

Most reactions

Back