Medium Format / Large format

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There should be sections for medium/large format photography.

They have ones on photo.net, but the layout of that whole page sucks donkey dork.:thumbdown:

I'd become a paying subscriber, were those additions made.

P.S. Thanks for all I've already gotten for free.:hugs: I should probably subscribe anyway.

But.....

I really do think it would add to the forum.:thumbsup:

I agree with Bobby. A Medium and Large Format camera would only add to this already great forum. Good idea!

Another vote here for the MF/LF section. Prices of MF film gear are dropping and there seems to be quite a bit of interest in MF and even LF. It would probably make sense to concentrate the subject in one place rather than have people posting in the Equipment, Film or various other areas.

Maybe it shouldn't be within the film area though, after all there may be queries on digital MF or digital backs. I don't know where else it would be though... that's a difficult one.

I think we could even have a specific 35mm section too. Probably sounds like a bad idea, but consider: the posts in the Beginners, Beyond the Basics and Equipment areas seem to be 99% digital-related and the only questions about film gear are on compatibility with digital stuff. If 35mm is becoming a niche like MF, maybe it should have its own section too. Of course while I'd like a 35mm section in theory I guess it would be difficult in practice due to crossover with existing sub-forums and people not knowing where to post. I guess that's always the problem with organising a forum like this. I don't envy your job!

I find discussion on MF/LF photography all over the forum. There doesn't seem to be a lack of interest. I'm not sure it needs a specific category. I think one can discuss it almost anywhere.

The film/digital split in MF/LF photography is deep. Basically, only commercial photographers use the digital products and only amateurs use the film products. You aren't likely to get much discussion about digital MF/LF in a forum simply because there aren't many commercial photogs on the forum or anywhere else. It would be interesting, to be sure, but would be limited in volume.

Does the film forum get enough traffic to warrant splitting it? I also think it would create even more overlap. Does one post about developing a MF neg in the MF forum or in the darkroom one? Those are the questions I personally like to ask when considering a new section: where will it steal from, and will it overlap.

Part of the reason for different forums is organization so you can more easily find the kind of posts you are looking for. To aid that, I think it's good to keep a similar division method. One could be film type, like 35mm vs MF vs LF. Another could be method, like taking the picture vs. developing film vs. printing. When you start to mix divisions, you create confusion.

I personally think there is very little difference between 35mm and larger formats except for some equipment variances. I agree with fmw that it fits in anywhere. I could see splitting up the equipment forum if that got enough traffic to warrant it, but is it really much different from having a rangerfinder forum and an SLR forum?

Hope that doesn't come across like I have a strong feeling about this. I just like things uncluttered, but I do get wordy.

I shoot mostly medium format or large format... some 35mm very rarely and almost no digital unless it is for the auction guys.
But my opinion is "it's all rock and roll to me."

Does the film forum get enough traffic to warrant splitting it?
Ah now I see... Still doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I honestly don't think it is needed. As I type this, there have been only 3 posts in the entire film section of this forum. In my opinion that isn't busy enough to merit a split. Plus, as Mark C pointed out, there is a lot of overlap, even when people do post in the right section. I say keep it simple.

Eric.

I tend to agree with Fred's comments. I see questions and comments about MF gear, 120 film, etc., popping up everywhere, so clearly there is interest - but not a clear, single place to direct these queries to. It could be nice to provide that.

I also agree with Mark's comments about overlap. We have a dedicated film section and there are still users who make analog-related posts outside of it. However, I tend to believe that's just something that will happen in a forum this size, regardless of topic.

So, it's usually a balancing act between our desire to put specific forums out there when there is a clear interest, and making folks aware they exist so they actually see some use! It doesn't have to draw a lot of attention to be considered of value - this is a photography forum, first and foremost, so we like to cater to your requests when possible.

In that regard, those of you who have expressed interest could help me out by taking some ownership of it - when you see misdirected threads, let me know so we can move them, which helps get the word out.

So - what would you guys think of starting with a subforum for medium and large format photography?

So - what would you guys think of starting with a subforum for medium and large format photography?

Yesssssssss! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just thought I'd chime in here again and let you all know that I am for the idea of a subforum, especially if there is a group of people who are likely to really dive into it. As Terri mentioned earlier, we'd appreciate the help from you all to make sure we move MF/LF posts to it that may end up in other areas of the site as well. That way, we're making sure the new area gains traction and is an effective addition. :D

Most reactions

Back