Medium format macro

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
With a reasonable budget ($500-1000), what are the options? RZ67 w/ 110mm macro lens seems to be the best bet. Which finder would be best for that setup?

Looking at KEH, I think I can get a complete setup for under $1000...

You going to hand hold or use a tripod? I've seen some discussions on the Mamiya's ergonomics around here, but if you're using a tripod, that doesn't matter really.

This could be a good deal. WELL under $1k, WAY closer to $500. I have the same 40mm extension tube for my Hassie, and they're pretty cheap and quite effective. Though you would be taking a bit of a risk with this, I admit.

Hasselblad 1000F Camera Zeiss 80mm F 2 8 Tessar Lens | eBay

And add this:

Hasselblad Extension Tube 40 for 1600F 1000F 134261 | eBay

I may be totally wrong with all of this. If that's the case, sorry, carry on.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a tripod, of course, but handheld would be a nice plus - not a requirement by any means.

I'll have to look into that Hassey.

Metering is one thing I've been wondering about... I have a meter (L-358), but it is my understanding that corrections have to be made at macro ranges, or when bellows are used...? I've never done macro photography with a non-TTL metering system... I guess I'll figure all that out when the time comes.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out what I should be looking for. I know I want medium format (6x6 or 6x7 preferred), and macro - beyond that, I'll have to wait and see.

For medium format now, I'm using a Fuji GF670 - 6x6/6x7 folder. It's a great camera, but I miss macro, lol.

Also, 110mm seems pretty short to me, for medium format. I'm used to working with a 100mm macro lens in 35mm - is there a medium format macro lens of a comparable field of view?
(When I do searches for medium format macro lenses, 110mm is mostly all that comes up. Not sure if that is because that's all there is, or if it's just the most common...)

I don't know much about the technical details, but I do know that 80mm (what I have) seems much wider than 80mm on a crop sensor DSLR. Maybe there's a reason that those are the only macro lengths readily available...? I have no idea.

As for that Hassie, it's an improved version of what I have. Focal plane shutter, I think stainless curtain, 1/1000, no metering though. Works with all Hassie V backs, but only 1600/1000f lenses, which can be a bit limiting.

"Normal" focal length is the diagonal of the medium - for 35mm that's just under 50mm. 6x6 or 6x7, it's around 80 or 90mm. That's why I said 110mm seemed short. I'm used to telephoto macro lenses - and 110mm would be just a little longer than "normal" in medium format. Maybe that's normal though...

I have seen some 150 stuff out there, but far from macro. Kilfitt, for example. 150 3.5, minimum focus of about 1.5 meters. I wonder how it will do with the extension tube... Now I'm curious.

From what I understand, bellows will make anything macro. But there are metering issues involved. That's nothing I can't figure out with a test roll though.

I've read that bellows are good for macro too. Similar principle to the extension tube, but more extreme. And way cooler looking.

Btw, tested that theory about the Kilfitt. Short answer? No. Long answer? No. :lol: Minimum focus distance was about 2.5 feet, down from 4.5. While I realize that isn't everything, it still didn't seem... macro enough, for lack of a better term. On my focusing screen, that is. Took a shot or two. Will have to wait and see what Blad the Impaler does with this thing.

That's a definite improvement. I'm looking for 1:1 macro though, which I suspect will be pretty awesome in medium format.

I picked up an rz67 with two lenses (90mm and 150mm) and a few other little things for 469 to my door. Just bought a 110mm f2.8 for 50 bucks.

When the bellows are extended completely, you have to compensate by one full stop. There is a chart on the side of the bellows when you start to extend it.

Also, 110mm seems pretty short to me, for medium format. I'm used to working with a 100mm macro lens in 35mm - is there a medium format macro lens of a comparable field of view?
(When I do searches for medium format macro lenses, 110mm is mostly all that comes up. Not sure if that is because that's all there is, or if it's just the most common...)

140/4.5 is the standard RB/Rz focal length in Mamiya macro lenses with mechanical or electronic shutters. Thanks to the bellows, "normal" lenses like the 90mm and 110mm will focus quite close. Tubes work well with 65/90mm lenses, too. Exposure compensation for all these set-ups is laid out in Mamiya body manuals available online. For macro, the WLF with its magnifier works especially well. Keep in mind that DOF is paper-thin at large apertures in these macro set-ups.

My mamiya 1000s had an 80mm macro lens. You needed the extension tube for though.

The RZ has a crazy long bellows, so you can get pretty close without any extensions etc.

For metering, if you're metering through the lens, the bellows factor is already taken into account, although reciprocity failure is NOT if this starts to produce longer exposures. For metering separately, you need to deal with both bellows factor and reciprocity failure. You can look up suitable charts for both pretty easily, although I would look up 3 or 4 and compare/contrast to to compensate for any.. um.. errors that may have crept in on the web.

Is the bellows standard equipment on the RZ67? From the pictures I'm seeing on KEH, it doesn't look like it's permanently affixed to the body. Is that something that would have to be purchased separately, or are the pictures I'm seeing just showing it fully collapsed?

I've never had one in my hands before.

Most reactions

Back