placeonthecorner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raisingmissjune.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks.

So im looking to invest in my first medium format camera. We've been using the Bronica etrsi at college and ive been impressed with the results.
After a snoop around ebay etc ive become intrigued with two alternative, and seemingly more compact cameras.
The two im considering are the Pentax 645n and the Bronica rf645.
Has anyone had any experience with these two? Or are there better cameras than these?
Im looking to spend around £450. I mostly shoot landscape, but on occasion i enjoy street photography aswell so im not sure if one is better suited than the other.
As always thanx for any advice you can give me.
:)

I think it was either 6x7 or 6x9

The Fuji's come in both flavors.

Both Bronica and Pentax make good medium format SLRs. You should take a close look at the features, and see if there's anything that makes the choice obvious. Other than that, and price, the only other thing that I might consider is that there's at least a chance that there will be a DSLR that will take Pentax 645 lenses. I'm not sure about the chances of a DSLR taking Bronica 645 lenses.

The Fuji 6X9 is awesome. Probably the most popular of the MF rangefinders is the Mamiya 7. 6X7 format, great lenses. I've never owned one but I did use one for a day and really liked the results.

My personal preference would be to go with the larger rangefinders they mentioned. If I'm going to use MF, I want to really make use of a larger neg. They seem especially well suited to landscapes, but won't be so bulky that you can't use them for street. Owning a Fuji 6x9 would strongly tempt me back into doing some film work.

excellent advice, thanx!... one other question though. i was looking at the fuji cameras, and i found the Fuji GW690III which seemed to be the one recommended. It was a little expensive though, closer to £700 so ive had a further look for different models and i found the FUJI GS645S which seems to be a little bulkier. Is this still a good choice? It looks a wee bit rough around the edges and they mostly seem to have fixed lenses. But their alot cheaper. Eek!!.. im so bad at decision making!!... :confused:

I've used the Fuji rangefinders, and they are just as huge, bigger in some dimensions, as my Pentax 67II SLR. If you want small (relative to medium format cameras), you'll need a folding camera or TLR. Fuji made some that almost seem modern, but most folders are from the 1950's or before. My 6x9 Zeiss Ikonta will just barely fit in a pants pocket, and opened up for use it's about the size of a 35mm SLR/DSLR.

A folder or TLR being relatively inexpensive could be good if you don't particularly need interchangeable lenses or the specific functions of an SLR or rangefinder. In fact interchangeable lenses are possible on the Mamiya C series TLRs.

As a more general point, I'd be inclined to go for something with negative sizes of 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9 rather than 6x4.5.

Ditto Zaphod, though with older MF folders I've played with, there's often an uncoated lens that's not deeply recessed, so a shade is important if you want to avoid lens flare on a bright day.

You can pick up a Koni-Omega 6x7 RF super cheap with a first rate Hexanon or Omegon lens, if you don't mind a quirky (and heavy!) body design.

Just to let you know if you are interested. I have a Bronica ETR-Si 645 for sale on Ebay. It is in mint condition and comes with the lens and back and some film too.
Item number: 130070049560

I am selling it to buy a Nikon D80 Digital.
Just wanted to let you know about it. If not, good luck in your search.

remember too... the 6x7 was introduced as "ideal format," meaning virtually no cropping when printing 8x10.

And.... it seems I remember the Pentax 67 had a rather slow sync speed. It that right?

Pete

remember too... the 6x7 was introduced as "ideal format," meaning virtually no cropping when printing 8x10.

And.... it seems I remember the Pentax 67 had a rather slow sync speed. It that right?

Pete

Most likely. Focal plane shuttered MF cameras usually synch at 1/60. The shutters are too large to do what 35mm or DSLR cameras can do. Most MF manufacturers also generally offer at least one leaf shuttered lens for photographers who need faster synch. I'm not sure if Pentax does but I would be surprised if they didn't.

Most reactions

Back