Medium Format vs. DSLR?

bisp21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone know if there is a DSLR camera out there that rivals a medium format camera when it comes to creating quality of pictures in still shot images?

Up to a point. Figure a Hassy digital back is 40 MP. A 6x4.5cm negative has about 150 billion silver halide crystals. At the dawning of time (ten years ago), no contest even at only an 8x10. Now, with not only the quality of the camera, but of printers, ink, hell the PC's themselves, you can make great enlargements from a digital. But you can't use cool stuff like acid to get the images out of a dSLR. Film truly does rock!

I've seen a comparison of a $5k Nikon D3 and an $8k (US prices) 1Ds MkIII compared to some medium format digital system (forget which) and the medium format system still kicked both of their butts.

I've seen a comparison of the Hasselblad H3D to medium format film and they seemed rather equal.

Why not compare apples to apples. We may as well compare large format film to the point and shoot cameras of 2002, it would make just as much sense.

Just curious..

When they compared the D3 and 1dsMarkIII, what scanner did they use to scan the MF frame to compare? Or was it done by visually inspecting the print?

Either way, the quality of the scanner and/or print will drastically skew the comparison... right?

If comparing prints, I'm not so sure inkjets are up to par with a traditional wet chemical print.

If comparing digitally, I'm not sure scanners are up to par to do MF negative justice.

What makes medium format prints come out better? Is it a megapixel thing?

What makes medium format prints come out better? Is it a megapixel thing?
The more you have to blow up an image, the less sharp it's going to be. As far as megapixels go, I don't think there's enough of them yet to match 35mm, let alone medium format. Soon, maybe. Canon has a 21mp on the horizon, and Sony a 24mp. So I hear.

I did some research on the internet, and found that ROUGHLY an 8mp sensor can give you an equal image quality of a 35mm. This is very controversial, but 8mps starts to distort at the same sizes 35mm does. Of course, they distort so differently, that there is a LOT of different opinions on this matter.

If you trust and believe this, it would take something like 45 megapixels to match the image quality of a medium format camera. Large format... who knows!

Of course, this is all based on that one assumption about 8 mps. Since its such a strong matter of opinion, there's no real way to give a definite answer.

Great info everyone!

I am needing to purchase a good camera and lenses upwards of $1,500 that can take great pictures and be blown up making 40 inch prints. I will be doing Architectural photography mainly.

Any ideas on the camera and lenses I should be looking at?

I did some research on the internet, and found that ROUGHLY an 8mp sensor can give you an equal image quality of a 35mm. This is very controversial, but 8mps starts to distort at the same sizes 35mm does. Of course, they distort so differently, that there is a LOT of different opinions on this matter.
I think 8MP is lowballing it a bit, especially using Bayer interpolation sensors. I'd say around 24 MP is more like it. GOOD film + a drum scanner can give spectacular results. Maybe 8MP was with lesser film or not as good as a scanner. There's a zillion ways to compare this so yeah, who knows.

I've seen 38MP medium format digital camers....of course they run at about $24k-$40k a piece....

Great info everyone!

I am needing to purchase a good camera and lenses upwards of $1,500 that can take great pictures and be blown up making 40 inch prints. I will be doing Architectural photography mainly.

Any ideas on the camera and lenses I should be looking at?
Professional or student/hobbyist? Film or digital?

Digital...

If professional I'd say get a full-frame Canon 5D and a couple of these. Tilt-shift / perspective correction lenses are ideal for architectural photography, but I think some of those lenses might be $1500 all by themselves, as is the Canon 5D. For student/hobbyist, whatever Digital Rebel (XT or XTi maybe) and maybe one of those lenses. Or a Canon EF-S 10-22mm which has very low distortion, also idea for architectural photography.

Film...

Get a large format 4x5" view camera system used. I know you can get an entire setup along with lenses and a decent scanner for $1500 or less. there's plenty of used stuff out there that's perfectly good, and these will all tilt and shift for huge depths of field and for correcting architecture photos too. They're big, bulky, clumsy, and not nearly as convenient though. I would love to play with one of these, but just lack the time and energy. Maybe someday... OR get a Canon 35mm body for dirt cheap which basically leaves you with your full $1500 for some nice lenses. Get a sturdy tripod and basic accessories.

I am a hobbyist for now, but may try and make some money. The pics don't need to be immaculate, but I want them to look nice and don't want to invest too much money because it is not something that may just stay a hobby.

I am thinking about getting a Nikon D80 or something comparable to it. Any suggestions like?

I am a hobbyist for now, but may try and make some money. The pics don't need to be immaculate, but I want them to look nice and don't want to invest too much money because it is not something that may just stay a hobby.

I am thinking about getting a Nikon D80 or something comparable to it. Any suggestions like?

Anything 8 MP and up will do for a 40 inch print.

I suggest possibly a 30D. You can get a brand new one for 700. Spend the rest on a 24-105mm F/4 IS L Lens

Anything 8 MP and up will do for a 40 inch print.

I suggest possibly a 30D. You can get a brand new one for 700. Spend the rest on a 24-105mm F/4 IS L Lens

Good info Ruby... I am assuming that the higher the number means the better the camera right? So a 30D is a lower than a 40D when it comes to quality of overall camera? I am new to DLSR...

Most reactions

Back