medium format

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by tim.bennett, May 22, 2008.

1. tim.bennett

tim.bennett TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi all,

I'm into street photography and portraiture and am using a 350d at the moment. I'm stepping it up a little and want to get me a 30d and and 2 primes. Now i might get another body 40d or 5d during the year. I have a new job and will be able to go for it a year before i go back to college part time. So now or never kinda thing. In that spirit I was looking at a medium format camera to my little family. Pentax 645n is affordable camera with a 70mm second hand for 550 euro(650 usd)

any advise would be welcome. I've no idea what i'm looking for in medium format camera and have seen okay reviews. what should i look out for?

Thanks in advance.
    Tim

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

What do you plan to use it for???.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I'd find MF a bit cumbersome for street photography. For portraiture, it does well.

I have the regular manual Pentax 645 as well as the 67. I like both. They both handle fairly well. The selection of lenses is pretty good and affordable. I know you are invested in Canon, but I think it is important to note that there is an adapter for 645 lenses on a regular K-mount body. Professional Pentax shooters use to travel with a 645 system and a regular 35mm body as a backup sharing lenses between 645 and 35mm. If you are going through a system change, that should be taking into consideration as I think a K20D + Pentax 645 with adapter and 645 lenses would be a versatile setup.

Any more specific questions?

4. tim.bennett

tim.bennett TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks usayit. Thats really helpfull. I was also looking at a slighly more expensive - Mamiya 645 PRO + 80mm F/2.8 N + Autowinder + 645 Prism Finder + Filmback 900 euro for the lot.

I will be doing a studio course and some workshops in the future and was thinking of using it for portraiture. hopefull in a study.