Medium Format???

steve817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in a direction where I can learn more about medium format. I think this may be an area I would like to explore, but I become easily confused. When looking on ebay I found kits with 120 and 220 film backs what's the difference between 120 and 220 film? Are they talking about film speed or what?

Steve

220 is twice as long and doesn't have the light-proof paper backing that is on a roll of 120. Cameras are either 120 only or 120/220 (usually by adjusting a film pressure plate).

If you put 220 film in a 120 only camera it would probably fit, but you may only be able to shoot half the roll (if the camera has a frame counter), and it may be fogged as many old 120 cameras use a red viewing window to determine proper film advance.

check out this site for lots of MF camera info:

http://medfmt.8k.com/

steve817 said:
Can anyone point me in a direction where I can learn more about medium format. I think this may be an area I would like to explore, but I become easily confused. When looking on ebay I found kits with 120 and 220 film backs what's the difference between 120 and 220 film? Are they talking about film speed or what?

Steve

I would suggest taking the bull by the horns! Get a cheapie medium format camera (such as a Liubitel Russian TLR, which stands for Twin Lens Reflex) and buy some 120 black and white film. Go shoot some pics, develop and print. If you like what you see, then invest in some medium format equipment such as:

-a Yashica TLR (good lenses and very sharp), probably under $100.
-a Bronica S2A or EC (this is like an SLR, Single Lens Reflex, hence a variety of lenses), probably under $300 to 400.

There are more cameras out there, I just thought of these two.

Good luck.

Ya I agree get a cheep cam and try it out. My first was a Koni Omega 6x7 great cam for the price you can pick one up for around 200 and they have pretty good optics.

Mitica100 said:
I would suggest taking the bull by the horns! Get a cheapie medium format camera

Here are a few of my suggestions for cheap MF (prices reflect clean, working model, at least 7+). All of these use 120 film; most don't have built in light meters:
Ansco Titan: usually goes for $70-$90, but recently I've seen them go for less than $50 (see my review here http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2174)
Rollieflex TLR with tessar or xenar lens: should be able to get one for under $200
Mamiya C220: I've seen them go as cheap as $100, but probably more like $150+
Zeiss Ikonta with tessar lens and compur shutter: folding cameras that come in 6x4.5 (A), 6x6 (B), and 6x9 (C), $150+

Super cheap MF camera: find a 620 film camera with an anastigmat lens. You can probably get a really nice one for $25. You can special order 620 film, or roll 120 film onto 620 spools.

i wonder how we got on ?

another great camera for under $100, is the Yashica-D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back