Meerkat's at Sunrise.....

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple shots of some awesome little guys relaxing and just waking up. They are fun to watch and seem to have major personalities.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Thanks for looking and if you could, let me know which one you prefer (to see if it matches my favorite) :thumbup:

Last edited:
YOU should be afraid of THEM, for once you get too close (usual zoo visitors won't, I should think, but their minders might), they can bite and it is NOT pleasant to be bitten by them!

But they are cute. Meerkats are always cute, as we see so many "human" elements in them, as they tend to be upright (the sentinel always is), and the look around with those big, round eyes.

I like how the "just waking up" comes out so well in your photos. The one in Photo 2 is still sooo relaxed.

My favourite is the sentinel in the bucket, though. I like everything about that one: light, focus, DOF, his posture, everything.

Thank You!
The sentinel in the bucket is also my favorite shot. He seemed to be watching the sky (for predators I assume), and was very serious about it whiles the others just milled about.

The sun had just peaked over the mountain top and broke through the trees so I had a nice warm light painting over them to work with. The enclosure they were in had a glass wall that was maybe 3.5-4 feet high so I was able to just lean over and grab shots of them that appeared as natural as I could get them, without showing the enclosure.

They were shot with the 55-200VR and an SB-800 for fill.

I love watching Meerkats. I only shot them once (kids in tow), so didn't do so well. I need to get back and get them again. They are so entertaining. I did better with the pararie dogs at our zoo, they're entertaining as well.

Nice series, captured really well. Before I saw the discussion that followed I chose no. 2 as well.

I'm glad I saw these. I almost miss the ones at our local zoo now!

This one cracks me up. They are all fun to see...

Most reactions

Back