Meeting with clients

Luna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
If you don't have a studio or office and instead invite clients out, you should definitely be offering to pay for drinks. Consider it a very minimal cost of doing business. If you're going to make an issue out of splitting a $3.00 tab, do you really think you're going to attract clients that will drop a few hundred dollars without thinking about it?

A soft drink is the cost of a print. Don't think twice about it - unless you think your clients should agonize over every 8x10. :eek:)

I usually offer to meet clients in their home, just to make it easier for them.

As I get busier, I will stop doing that and make them come to me.

Many photographers I know have a client meeting area, whether it's at their home or at their office/studio. This way, you can have have large photos on display and have all of your sample & promotional material right there...without packing it all up.

And yes, if you meet a client for coffee etc, it's polite to pick up the tab. Although, I've had a few who insist that they pick up the tab for me...and hey, the customer is always right. :D

I agree with all of the advise. There is no one set have to way, but all can work. Picking up the tab is the least you could do after all you have someone who is so interested in your services that they called and set up the meeting. Getting the opertunity to show your work is alot more than half the battle.

To add to this discussion:
One school of thought is that you should not bend over backward for potential customers. Photographers who are very busy, simply might not have time to be buying coffee for anyone who calls them up and want to meet. If the client truly wants to hire them, then the client should come to meet them, wherever it's most convenient for the photographer.

The idea is that if the photographer is in high demand, or even if they appear to be in high demand...then the client may want their services even more. They may also be more apt to sign you up quickly because they want to ensure they get their date.

Other techniques that go along with this...are things like not calling clients back right away and letting them know how busy you are, when you do talk to them.

When you go to meet them and you buy them coffee etc...you may seem a little desperate and/or they might not respect you as much...even if it's just subconsciously. But if you seem very busy and in demand, they will think that you are great because so many other people are hiring you and they will want to book you ASAP.

That's the theory anyway.

To add to this discussion:
One school of thought is that you should not bend over backward for potential customers. Photographers who are very busy, simply might not have time to be buying coffee for anyone who calls them up and want to meet. If the client truly wants to hire them, then the client should come to meet them, wherever it's most convenient for the photographer.

The idea is that if the photographer is in high demand, or even if they appear to be in high demand...then the client may want their services even more. They may also be more apt to sign you up quickly because they want to ensure they get their date.

Other techniques that go along with this...are things like not calling clients back right away and letting them know how busy you are, when you do talk to them.

When you go to meet them and you buy them coffee etc...you may seem a little desperate and/or they might not respect you as much...even if it's just subconsciously. But if you seem very busy and in demand, they will think that you are great because so many other people are hiring you and they will want to book you ASAP.

That's the theory anyway.
I wouldn’t call that a theory but a fact. I have run my own business for over 11 years and I can tell you from experience this is true. Always express that you’re are busy. Always look busy. Confidence is always a must. I personally don’t like to be cocky but confident.

I have also seen people post that if you raise your prices you can get better clientele and more work. I have been told this and have done it. What was told to me was, you never want to be the “cheapest”. You want to be middle to high side at the begging and as you get booked up, you want to be on the upper end. I was even told by another business owner, that he charges double what most do for his services and gets more work. His theory of why is, that people think they are getting a better, job, service and or product for the money.

Just my .02 cents.

Thanks Mike. I don't know it all, but who does. I just try and learn from the good and bab, and am always eager to hear what others have to say.

I usually meet in starbucks, enjoy a coffee, use my laptop to show examples and pay the bill, sometimes you need to spend money to make money, also, if your really worried about having to pay for them, just add it in as expenses on their bill for the job!

Most reactions

Back