Meg – senior session

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Christie Photo, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Some sessions are harder than others... this one was a breeze.
    I'd love to hear some critiques. Thanks much.

-Pete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7.[​IMG]

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I really like your background control on all the outdoor location shots. She's a very attractive young lady, with no tattoos, no flyaway hair, no exposed bra straps, no nose rings, no lip piercings, and very simple,minimal accessories. You did a good job of showing her at this special stage in her life. She appears well at-ease throughout the entire set, and that really comes across. Photos 2,5,and 6 appear a bit, just a bit low in contrast on my monitor, almost like they were shot on VPS, while the last shot has a slightly more-contrasty look that I prefer.

The last photo, of her seated in luscious green grass,with the background composed of a rustic log fence and unobtrusive woodlands behind the fence, is a good example of a horizontal framing and horizontal composition that actually makes sense! I think many younger photographers here could take a really good,long look at how in the last photo, you utilized the entire horizontal space--for at least two good reasons, with the first being that the subject of the portrait is the girl, and she is wider than she is tall, and the second reason being that the location behind her is part of an *interesting* and *well-composed*, controlled background. Not some boring, out of focus, black-shadows that add nothing at all, but a really interesting location, that looks nice! With the entire person placed into a location.

3. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    While I am not fond of #2, the rest are simply beautiful.

The light control throughout was awesome, and unlike another senior session I saw on this website earlier - You can see the subjects personality come through.

In some the smile seems a BIT forced, but in others its spot on. However, I am hypersensetive to smiles, being somewhat of an expert on girls smiling (hey it's my job!)

4. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +1.

Love 6. and 7.:thumbup: Fantastic job on these! I bet her mothers pleased!

5. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All but no.2, the background in focus is detracting from the shot, get her further from it, smooth it out and light it differently if you have the gear. H

6. Don Kondra

Don Kondra Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very Nice to see your work Pete.

You should know better than to post a wack of images and ask for C & C :)

If I may add to what has been said...

In #3 the pose isn't exactly natural but she seems very comfortable with it, nice smile, eye catchlights, hair out of the way and the dress nicely frames her face.

Would like to see the background white. After back and forthing I think I prefer this shot over the more formal presentation and processing of #1.

#5 same on the pose, etc. For me the crop is just right. There is some space above her head and below her elbows. The perspective is close enough that her personality comes through.

Thanks much for sharing.

Cheers, Don

7. Christie Photo

Derrel... thanks for taking time with a concise critique.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

-Pete

8. Christie Photo

Heh heh.... ya got me there! It's a peeve of mine.

Thanks, Don, for sharing your thoughts!

-Pete

9. kric2schaam626

kric2schaam626 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, I'm looking! :lmao:

10. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These are lovely! I like how you tastefully brought out the natural colors and tones, without any bit of "fake-ness" to your editing. The horizontal framing is nice on the last one, and I like your choice of DOF on the fence. I wonder if it might have been improved to move her more to the left of the frame, though? So you have more of the fence trailing into the background, with your subject to the side rather than right in the middle? That could just be my preference though, it's still a lovely shot. =)

11. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll bet her dad's even more pleased.:lol:

Whew! It's hard to critique any of these. Beautiful shots, beautiful girl. My only gripe is the smiles look pasted on in a couple of them, or maybe it's because they are so similar, it just seems that way.

PS Maybe try to re-crop 6 and 7 slightly, very slightly, so that there's more frame in front of the girl.

12. jkleinhe

jkleinhe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Aayria, I would like to have seen her positioned just a bit more the to the left in the last image, but a lovely image none the less. My only other suggestion would be in #3 to have somehow included her legs and shoes in the picture. It is obvious from the tutu that she is a dancer however, I feel that the shoes are such an intricate part of the whole ensemble. All of your images are very well done. She looks like a fabulous model to work with...truly a natural!