Megapixel vs. Megapixel

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by nikon90s, Mar 11, 2004.

1. nikon90s

nikon90s TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok I know this will be hard to answer but I can't find an article that can explain it in plain English. How can you tell what DSLR camera will give you a sharper picture. I am looking at getting DSLR most likely a Nikon and have been looking at the D100 6.1 megagixel or the new D2H 4.1 megapixel. At first glance you would think that the 6.1 would be better, more megapixels better picture right? I know there are other things that go into what makes a shot sharper and this is a very subjective topic and more importantly that not all megapixels are created equally. How can someone tell what will give you a sharper picture if megapixels are not all made the same?

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I would strongly suggest looking at the new D70 which should be shipping by the end of the month.

3. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not sure about the whole megapixel thing but I do know that your glass will make a difference in sharpness.

4. nikon90s

nikon90s TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know that but you can put the same glass on either camera

5. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

Nah, you got it all wrong. The more megapixels...the bigger you can print your image. So if you're printing an 8x10 (or 4x5) for that matter, you will not be able to tell a difference. You see, at 300 dots per inch, you need so many megapixels across and up/down in that inch so that you can't see the pixels. Now say you want to ....ah hell...just go here.

http://www.megapixel.net/cgi-bin/fs...xel.net/html/articles/article-megapixels.html

On a standard print size, your glass is the determining factor on sharpness

6. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Higher Megapixels on a digicam generally mean that your pic will look "photo quality" at larger print sizes, not necessarily sharper.

I agree with Photogoddess, your glass will have a lot to do with overall sharpness.

When deciding between DSLR "A" and DSLR "B" with different MP resolutions, ask yourself how big do you want prints? If you are gonna want poster sized prints or larger, then you'll want a higher MP camera.
    If you think you don't want more than 8x10 or 11x14, then a lower MP cam might suit you fine.

7. nikon90s

nikon90s TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very good point. But from what I read not all Megapixels are created =.
    like the canon 50s is a 5 Megapixel camera costs around $500 now the D2H is a 4.1 Megapixel costs around $3,300. The 50s will not give you a better shot then the D2H but I just don't know how I can tell with out taking both out and taking the same shots.

What size prints look 35mm quality or better with what megapixels size?(ie 2 Megapixels 3x5, 3 Megapixels 5x7 and so on) How can I tell that. :roll:

8. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think a megapixel is a megapixel is a megapixel. I think the difference is in the quality of the glass and the ccd. The glass part is obvious. If your glass sucks, your images will be soft. I am not sure about the CCD part but... if all CCDs were created equally, why would the camera manufacturers spend so much time and money improving them?

9. nikon90s

nikon90s TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very good point. But from what I read not all Megapixels are created =.
    like the canon 50s is a 5 Megapixel camera costs around $500 now the D2H is a 4.1 Megapixel costs around $3,300. The 50s will not give you a better shot then the D2H but I just don't know how I can tell with out taking both out and taking the same shots.

What size prints look 35mm quality or better with what megapixels size?(ie 2 Megapixels 3x5, 3 Megapixels 5x7 and so on) How can I tell that. :roll:

10. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is very true Nikon. Take the faveon sensor for example. It really only has 3 megapixels, yet performs more like 6 megapixels.

11. wwjoeld

wwjoeld TPF Noob!

that 4 mP nikon is meant for photojournalists who will be printing on newprint were resolution doesnt really matter.

12. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that article is misleading. If I make a print from a full-source image (6.4Mp) and another from a small cropped portion (say 2Mp), there is a noticable difference between the two at the sizes I print at, especially 12"x18". Since this is coming from the same source file, the camera and the glass are the same. Even at 8x10, I don't want to give up pixels if I don't have too.

They even contradict themsevles:

and ...

Where are they getting this 1.3 Mp number from? According to their chart, a 4x6 needs 2.3Mp, not 2.16, so they contradict themselves yet again.

Anyway, 6x9 is the smallest I print at. According to their chart, 5 1/3 X 8 needs 4Mp. If you do 8x10's or larger, you want as many pixels as possible.

Here's another article on the subject.

I'm not saying that number of pixels is all-important, but it isimportant. It's just not the only factor to look at. Whether the sensor is a CCD or CMOS can have a big impact, as well as the quality of said sensor. CMOS sensors were usually used in the cheap cameras, but they've gotten to the point that they are in pro-level equipment, like the Canon 1Ds, so that shoudn't be an automatic assumption.

The D2H uses a JFET LBCAST sensor, which is similar to CMOS. The D100 uses a CCD, but is older technology.

I guess it really comes down to is trying it out for yourself, or putting some faith in the reviews to at least help you narrow it down. When it comes to the ever-changing world of high-tech, there are rarely easy answers. :(