Megapixel

Hill202

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased the D40 which is 6.1 mp. I now see that the D40x is 10.2 mp. Is that a noticable difference? Thinking of exchanging while I still can. I'm not real pleased with the things I have read about these cameras as far as lens, but the D80 is a little out of my budget.

Are the additional megapixels worth the hassle of exchanging? I have 5 more days to decide.

Thanks

More is better, but it's not everything. I'm not sure how much more expensive the D40x is than the D40. If it's only a couple hundred dollars, I'd say that maybe it's worth it. Any more than that...and maybe it's not worth it.

Also, more pixels are good for making large prints...so if that's something you plan on...more pixels might be worth the upgrade.

As far as I know the difference between the D40 and D40X is only the sensor (and thus the pixel count). Personally there is no way I would upgrade for that, unless it cost $100 or less. I use 6mp and make large prints. 10mp can give you an advantage over 6mp for cropping and larger prints, but to be honest I would much rather have better resolution than more pixels, and that means I'd rather invest the money in lenses.
The cost difference between the D40 and D40X can go towards some really good glass, and the difference there will be far more noticeable in most prints than the difference between 6 and 10 megapixels IMO.

If you're using the 18-55 or 18-135, the D50 will crank out better looking images. Larger photosites hide the lens' imperfections.

Thats sound reasoning. Investing in lens may be the way to go for now. As a beginner I am unsure as to what the next lens should be. I find macro interesting. Can you suggest a step up in lens for the D40?

The camera came with the 18/55 and the 55/200...package deal at Best Buy

Thanks

As far as I know the difference between the D40 and D40X is only the sensor (and thus the pixel count). Personally there is no way I would upgrade for that, unless it cost $100 or less. I use 6mp and make large prints. 10mp can give you an advantage over 6mp for cropping and larger prints, but to be honest I would much rather have better resolution than more pixels, and that means I'd rather invest the money in lenses.
The cost difference between the D40 and D40X can go towards some really good glass, and the difference there will be far more noticeable in most prints than the difference between 6 and 10 megapixels IMO.

correct, EXCEPT the D40 shoot 2.5 frames a second and the D40x shoots 3. i shoot a 6.3 megapixel, and i have great quality. i think the only difference that you are going to notice is in cropping and blowing up your pics.

correct, EXCEPT the D40 shoot 2.5 frames a second and the D40x shoots 3.

Thanks, I didn't know that. To be honest I wouldn't consider that a significant difference either, not like between 3 and 5fps for example.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back