Megapixels

if the sensors are the same size, or really close then you should not

be able to discern any differences at all at the same 8x10 sizes

pretty much I would of bought the 20D even if it was only a 6.3MP

I needed the speed and features over my old 300D which I still use as a backup.

When I shoot with both I dont see too much difference with the same lens

on each camera. just the 300d misses more shots due to its speed etc....

What i want to know is when you say a 10MP sensor compared to a 6MP sensor will create more noise (same sensor size), will the 10MP image be worse than the 6MP at the smae print size or just when you print it larger?

if the pixels are smaller (10 mp) then the noise will be finer "grain" noise ,but overall there might be more noise.

this "more noise" is only true though, if pixel size is the only difference between the two cameras.

so smaller pixels equals more noise holds true as a general trend, can be reversed though if you compare two spefic cameras.

always compare directly. never rely on predictions based on a limited set of parameters (such as pixel size only)

"more noise" is only true though, if pixel size is the only difference between the two cameras.

This is a kind of spill over question then from another thread i started.

I have been looking at the Canon G7.

If i'd had the money now, it would alreay have been bought.

As it is, i'm waiting til pay day at the end of the month.

I'm starting to get more and more concerned though.

This is my only real concern (amount of pixels). I thought (being new to digital) that the higher the Mp the better the image quality. like many others i dont doubt.

But i do also understnad that the sensor size is an issue.

Basically the choice will come down to the G7, the A640 or the A710.

Now....
the G7 is 10MP with a 1/1.8" sensor
the A640 is 10MP with a 1/1.8" sensor
and the A710 is 7.1MP with a 1/2.5" sensor

Of only these three, which is likely to give better images.

Im guessing of the G7 and A640, the G7 will win as same MP and sensor size but G7 has Digic III (compared to the A640's Digic II) also the G7 has a better lens.

But... What about the difference between the G7 and A710?

And i suppose as a spill over, will anything compete with the G7 apart from a dSLR?

I realise this thread should possibly go in the equipment related forum but i think it gives a practical example and answer to the subject of the original thread.

Most reactions

Back