Meh. My turn for a selfie.

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I received some of the lighting gear I had been waiting for and took it for a spin tonight. This is one reflecting umbrella with a (poorly placed) reflector. I hate taking pictures of myself as much as everyone else does, but I figure it'll make progress much simpler for me. After just 20 minutes tonight, I felt more comfortable placing the light. I need to get a better stand solution for my reflector, and I think I'll be adding a second light sooner rather than later.

Any comments or feedbacks on the lighting are welcome. I know that I need to shave, drink less beer, eat less bread, and exercise more ;). The lack of hair can't be helped, but I suppose I can throw the beanie on next time.

I know most of you would also prefer more DOF. I used the aperture to adjust the light rather than adjusting flash power. That's something I'll think about next time.

selfie1.jpg

For such a tight crop you can always hold the reflector yourself for a self-portrait, or when photographing someone else you can have the model hold it, and the viewers would be none the wiser about it.

For such a tight crop you can always hold the reflector yourself for a self-portrait, or when photographing someone else you can have the model hold it, and the viewers would be none the wiser about it.

Thanks for the tip! I tried holding the reflector out to the side, but it was too big and floppy to hold in the right position. I'm going to pick up a piece of white foam board on my way home today. I think that'll be much easier.

I like the DOF that you used and think it's a very compelling self portrait.

Life is short - eat the bread, drink the beer!

Thanks for the tip! I tried holding the reflector out to the side, but it was too big and floppy to hold in the right position. I'm going to pick up a piece of white foam board on my way home today. I think that'll be much easier.
Typically I get the best results by positioning the reflector underneath the head (basically in your lap) as opposed to having it out to the side. The goal is to reflect some light into the eye-sockets while also adding a reflection to the eyes.

Yeah, the DOF looks good...nose a bit OOF, eyes sharp, forehead sharp, ears just outside the DOF band...pretty traditional close-up look! Good to hear the lighting gear arrived. Keep in mind that selfies are probably THE most-challenging type of lighting for a beginner to off-camera flash. It's sooooo much easier to be behind the camera throughout the entire process!

Typically I get the best results by positioning the reflector underneath the head (basically in your lap) as opposed to having it out to the side. The goal is to reflect some light into the eye-sockets while also adding a reflection to the eyes.

That's good to know. I'll try this when I set everything up again.

Yeah, the DOF looks good...nose a bit OOF, eyes sharp, forehead sharp, ears just outside the DOF band...pretty traditional close-up look! Good to hear the lighting gear arrived. Keep in mind that selfies are probably THE most-challenging type of lighting for a beginner to off-camera flash. It's sooooo much easier to be behind the camera throughout the entire process!

I definitely looked a little crazy. I am just quick enough to get back to the camera and "chimp" before the picture disappears. I got a lot of steps in between the backdrop and the camera last night.

I hope to have a couple of other people to take photos of this weekend. One of my in-house candidates is pregnant and doesn't want her picture taken for any purpose, one isn't reliable to stay in any one spot for more than 3 seconds, and the dog doesn't have the patience for me, haha.

Another attempt tonight. The focus was soft in all of the photos I took tonight...I didn't notice until I uploaded them. I think I need to RTFM to look at the AF modes while taking photos using the remote.

This is was with a second flash running at 1/4 power being reflected off the wall to my right. I think I needed get it a bit further in front of me.

selfie2.jpg

The lighting is nice and soft, but to me it seems to lack sculpting qualities that would shape your features. I like the addition of the soft side light, but would move it to a position so that it's a little bit more behind you for a subtle backlighting effect. That way it's seperated a bit more from the key light, and has more of a shaping effect on your silhouette. I also would consider a reflector below your head, just to add some light to your iris' and to add a second catch-light to your eyes, as well as give separation and shape to your chin.

The lighting is nice and soft, but to me it seems to lack sculpting qualities that would shape your features. I like the addition of the soft side light, but would move it to a position so that it's a little bit more behind you for a subtle backlighting effect. That way it's seperated a bit more from the key light, and has more of a shaping effect on your silhouette. I also would consider a reflector below your head, just to add some light to your iris' and to add a second catch-light to your eyes, as well as give separation and shape to your chin.

Ugh! I need to take some paper notes from this thread so I have a checklist of things to try when I actually go to take the photos. My house is very small, so I take up most of the first floor when I hang the back drop and set-up the lights, so I try to not take much more than 15-20 minutes out of respect to my wife who is also using the space. I meant to try to the reflector tip you offered last time, but I didn't remember tonight.

I just ordered another stand and modifier for my second flash, rather than using the bookshelf and wall, haha. The idea of using the second light more for backlighting is interesting to me. I'm quickly realizing I need to do some true study before I move too much farther along. The blog posts and quick hits I'm finding on the internet are getting me started, but I need to look at some of the theory behind the light placement too. I remember you posted a few books that you liked in the photographic reading thread, so I'll go take a look there to get started.

Thanks for the help -- I'm truly appreciative. The feedback loop is so important for learning.

You can see the second flash that was hitting the wall to your right: it has created very soft highlights on your ear, a little bit on your right cheek, and a small catchlight from the wall has formed on the white of your right eyeball. The light on youre face is pretty soft and maybe a bit too low in contrast to really define your facial shape to a high degree, but I think the contrast of the lighting could be intensified in post-processing software to a degree. Focus placement is maybe 2 to 3 inches behind the optimal placement, with the chin and lips and nose a little bit moe OOF than the ears, but on selfies it can be very challenging to get the exact, precise focus. Selfies can be very tough!

So, overall, how are you liking the Eclipse umbrella?

You can see the second flash that was hitting the wall to your right: it has created very soft highlights on your ear, a little bit on your right cheek, and a small catchlight from the wall has formed on the white of your right eyeball. The light on youre face is pretty soft and maybe a bit too low in contrast to really define your facial shape to a high degree, but I think the contrast of the lighting could be intensified in post-processing software to a degree. Focus placement is maybe 2 to 3 inches behind the optimal placement, with the chin and lips and nose a little bit moe OOF than the ears, but on selfies it can be very challenging to get the exact, precise focus. Selfies can be very tough!

So, overall, how are you liking the Eclipse umbrella?

My slight patch of chest hair is what is in focus. Perfect, right? My favorite pose/lighting/etc of the night was completely out of focus. Really not sure why that happened...I'm pretty sure I used the exact same AF settings as the other night, but I didn't take any notes so I'm not really sure.

The umbrella is working out pretty well. I'm still playing with how to set it up as far as the relationship between the flash and the umbrella itself. The first shot in this thread was with a zoomed (85mm I think) flash and much closer to me (3 feet maybe?) than tonight's shots. Tonight the flash was set to 24mm and was more like 4-5 feet away. I'm wondering if I should split the difference.

Post-processing, of course, is something else I will need to continually work on during this process. It's a bit different intentionally modifying the light source versus modifying the natural light you are given.

With some more contrast...

selfie2contrasty.jpg

Derrel, I appreciate your help a bunch too. I've been posting here for a little over a year now, and you were one of the first people to push me in the right direction.

Derrel, I appreciate your help a bunch too. I've been posting here for a little over a year now, and you were one of the first people to push me in the right direction.

HEY, THANKS for the kind comment.

I think boosting the contrast makes the shot look better, more moodly, looks visually crisper too.

As far as the flash and the umbrella and what to set the flash to, how far to position it: that depends somewhat on the zoom head of the flash and the size of the umbella. You want the majority of the flash to hit the center of the umbrella's bowl, and NOT have raw light spilling out over the periphery of the umbrella. I usually like the flash zoomed to 35mm setting, but NOT the 14mm with the wideangle panel, and not the 24mm zoom setting, which is also a wide-angle flash setting. The normal or 50mm flash zoom can wortk too, especially in bigger umbrellas. With a reflecting umbrella, have the light 4 to 10 inches from the end of the umbrella's shaft, in most cases.

The easiest way to find out what works best is to do a few tests, shootiung something simple, and try out the widest flash head setting, then the next one up,m and end with the most-telephoto setting...shoot 'em and see for yourself, with your gear, what works like what.

For example: if you have a shoot-through umbrella, you might like the look of the flash 18 inches from the end of the umbrella shaft (ie choked way up on the shaft), and zoomed to 85mm, and shot through the thin, diffusion fabric from a mere 8 inches from the bowl of the umbrella--or, you might not like that look. That's kind of an extreme, yet, easily do-able.

I remember you posted a few books that you liked in the photographic reading thread, so I'll go take a look there to get started.
Keep in mind that the majority of the books I posted were mainly for visual inspiration, as I learn best from viewing an image and analyzing it rather than reading technical instructions. The books I listed showcase the works of who I believe are the best of the best when it comes to portrait photographers, and it's important to me that one set an extremely high standard when it comes to reference and inspiration.

Most reactions

Back