Meike battery grip on my D7000 lasted exactly 1 hr

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It came in today from Amazon. Unboxed it, read the directions and put in some batteries. It worked fine for about 1 hr and the camera started acting weird. Controls didn't work properly, etc. etc. I've requested a return through Amazon. I should have known better, next time I'll spend the $215 and get a Nikon.

mine did this once or twice when I first got it, but has since been fine for about a month now with not a single error. It essentially would say the battery was dead and controls wouldn't work. I think it was just a connection error due to never having used a grip before. I almost returned mine until a friend of mine with a Nikon grip said that his did the same exact thing when he first got it, but that it stopped after he attached, unattached and reattached 5-10 times (and he said that this was what the Nikon rep told him to do to fix the problem).

mine did this once or twice when I first got it, but has since been fine for about a month now with not a single error. It essentially would say the battery was dead and controls wouldn't work. I think it was just a connection error due to never having used a grip before. I almost returned mine until a friend of mine with a Nikon grip said that his did the same exact thing when he first got it, but that it stopped after he attached, unattached and reattached 5-10 times (and he said that this was what the Nikon rep told him to do to fix the problem).
Tried the 10 time reconnect, disconnect, no help. The control wheels don't work, and the regular camera controls don't work properly when the grip is connected, something is shorting out.

Tried the 10 time reconnect, disconnect, no help. The control wheels don't work, and the regular camera controls don't work properly when the grip is connected, something is shorting out.

hmm, mine just turned everything off, and said that the battery was dead (regardless of whether or not it was even supposed to be using the grip battery or camera battery).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Aftermarket accessories are just hit or mis and I should have known better. I really like the way the camera handles with the grip and I will get the Nikon. CE-Compas issued me a Return Authorization so the grip will be returned today.

greybeard said:
Aftermarket accessories are just hit or mis and I should have known better. I really like the way the camera handles with the grip and I will get the Nikon. CE-Compas issued me a Return Authorization so the grip will be returned today.

Same here. I will be ordering an OEM grip for the d90. Apparently, the mbd80 was used for the d80 and d90 but the pins aren't exactly in the same location. I believe there was a newer releAse of the mbd80 but nonetheless, the grip I have must be designed after the first gen. Reads dead batteries and shuts off every now and then. I do club gigs on the weekend and nothing sucks more than having a group pose and then your camera is off :-/

I had the "Nikon" on my former D90 and loved it. When I moved to the D300, I bought the Zeikos grip and it was nice, but it was all plastic.
I tried a Nikon MB-D10 and loved the mag. alloy build and returned the Zeikos. I bought my Nikon MB-D10 used, but clean. Can't go wrong with "Nikon"!!!

even high end brands will have a lemon now and then. I think I spent $30 on mine and it's worked great since day 1.
You must have got one of the good ones. The problem with this stuff is quality control. The one I got just hadn't been tested enough. It failed after about an hrs use. I may have gotten a replacement and it been fine. I just hate having something fail and having to return it etc. etc.

even high end brands will have a lemon now and then. I think I spent $30 on mine and it's worked great since day 1.
You must have got one of the good ones. The problem with this stuff is quality control. The one I got just hadn't been tested enough. It failed after about an hrs use. I may have gotten a replacement and it been fine. I just hate having something fail and having to return it etc. etc.

Oh I agree i'm sure the fail percentage is a lot greater then Nikon's for sure. but the price diffrence is tremendous.

I had a Zeikos grip on a D300 and it worked like a champ.
Meike I have no experience with, but as mentioned, the occasional Nikon grip with a manufacturing defect gets shipped too.

I paid 25 bucks for mine. I love it and it works great on my D90. I live in San Diego and every 3 months a camera road show comes thru and thats where I got it. Best 25 bucks I ever spent.

Mine Would Show dead when turned off. Ended up being a Wasabi Battery since they were having problems with this. I called the seller and they sent me a free battery from a new fixed lot and has worked perfect since.

Most reactions

Back