Memory Card Error and Lost Photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the guys here pointed me in the way of Recuva which recovered everything and more off my crashed external hard drive. Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download which worked when nothing else would.
If that still doesn't work I have another program and a free code somewhere I'll find for you to download it.

Next lesson here: Always use smaller memory cards that don't hold a TON of images and use many of them. If one does have a total catastrophic fail, you aren't out everything. ALWAYS empty your memory cards often-don't leave it in your camera to shoot for days at a time.

There are a ton of free file recovery programs, try download.com, one of them is bound to work.

Also u may want to try starting the program u have by right clicking on the icon and choosing "run as administrator," most file system programs require this to work on win7.

Dont worry u havent lost your all your photos, nothing is ever really deleted, even if u format. All deleting/format does is give permission to overwrite those areas of the card, so if u havent used the card since the photos are still there and recoverable.

UPDATE: I found a free program called PhotoRec (PhotoRec - CGSecurity). I ran it and it seemed to recover most of the JPEGS and videos. It didn't recover any of the RAW files and when I tried to play the videos they wouldn't play. I decided to spend the $40 for CardRecovery because I wanted to try and get the videos and RAW files. I was able to recover the RAW files, but the videos had the same problem, they wouldn't play. But now I have customer service at CardRecovery that I can get info from. And the $40 is for the program so anytime this happens again I don't have to search for a solution. I'll probably be buying other brands of memory cards anyway. I haven't heard back from Transcend yet.

I have used PhotoRec and was going to suggest it, so I am glad you found it. Look in the options for what file extensions you want it to search for, and then select the raw extension. I have had no problems in the past recovering videos or photos, just make sure you are giving it the correct extensions to search for if you try it again.

Toga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back