Memory card for the D7100

Jptex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a new D7100 showing up tomorrow. In its bundle, I am getting a 32 GB, 80 MB/s memory card. Now, Saturday I am selling my Sony A57 which has a 32 GB, 22 MB/s memory card. My question to everyone is: should I keep this old card as a back up or let it go with the camera and buy another card. Will the slower read/write speed be too slow for the D7100.

I started off with a pair of 16 GB Class 10 45MB cards for my D7100 which worked great until I needed more speed. So I upgraded to a pair of Pro 16 GB Class 10 95 MB cards. It was a night and day deference! So I wouldn't bother with keeping the 22MB card(s) as back ups but with that said, I wouldn't let it go with the old camera either. People can recover photos from memory cards, even after have been deleted.

The D7100 users manual states Class 6 or faster is recommended for movie recording. See page - 347

In other words, Class 6 is plenty for shooting stills.

Have you see this memory card speed test on the d7100 on youtube?

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
My way of looking at it is this.................if you plan on shooting sports then get the fastest SD card money can buy, if you don't then who cares how fast the card it ?
The more cards you have the smaller the chance that you will get stuck on a long trip with a great camera and no memory to store your pictures.
How much do you think you are going to get for a used SD card 5$ ?
Better keep it.

Oh and congrats on your new camera!

My way of looking at it is this.................if you plan on shooting sports then get the fastest SD card money can buy, if you don't then who cares how fast the card it ?
The more cards you have the smaller the chance that you will get stuck on a long trip with a great camera and no memory to store your pictures.
Better keep it.

Agree with goodguy. The money you'll get for a used SD card is negligible, might as well keep it

Even the slower card is a Class 10, just has a slower read/ write speed. As for selling the card, I wasn't going to sell it, but to give it way with the old camera that I am selling. I will keep the card for a back up and eventually a back up's back up.

Heck, I've still got a few 4gb and 8gb Class 4 cards I keep in my bag, just in case. I can't imagine ever needing them, but it's not like it's any effort or extra weight to keep them around.
If I carry them around for five years and never need them, I've lost absolutely nothing. But if I'm ever desperate enough to need them, I won't really CARE that they're class 4; that's still a sight better than no card at all.

Better keep it.

Its always good to have fast everything when shooting sports but I ran into speed writing issues photographing old trains (moving) and Lightning. Slow cards can cause missed shots in other areas of photography, I learned that lesson the hard way.

i have a bunch of 16gig class 10 45 mb/s cards and have never run into a situation where the card has not been fast enough for my picture taking.
then again, I don't shoot sports or wildlife, and rarely

I wont pretend to understand the relationship between the "class" of a card -vs- the MB/S on a card and how it affects shooting, I just know that the class 10 30mb/s and 45mb/s have been sufficient for 2-3 shot burst shooting in raw.

Better keep it.

Its always good to have fast everything when shooting sports but I ran into speed writing issues photographing old trains (moving) and Lightning. Slow cards can cause missed shots in other areas of photography, I learned that lesson the hard way.

No argument there, I don't think we should intentionally buy cheap slow SD cards or on that matter cheap stuff in general but since the OP already has a card then as slow as it is he should keep it just in case.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back