MEMORY CARD IS FULL (????)

whit~foto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitande.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went on a shoot the other day and I have a 4GB memory card. We started shooting...(keep in mind that my quality setting is set at M) and I seriously only took about 300 pictures and the card was FULL. Why?

I need help. It there a setting on the camera to get more pictures on the card? I should definately be getting more pictures on there.

What camera are you shooting with and what is the estimated file size with that camera for the 'M' quality setting? With that information, we may be able to determine whether there is a problem or not.

The numbers of shots on a card are controlled by variations. The camera can give you an estimate, then either allow more or less according to variations in each shot. Lighting, how much sky, closeups with lots of detail, etc.. I use 4 gb cards in a Nikon D200 using L Raw without JPGs and expect about 200-219 to a card. Sometimes I get more, other times less, so 300 does not seem like too few to me. If you use both Raw and JPG settings that could also limit the number of shots. If you have it set to fine setting, that could also mean fewer shots.

Various cameras will also produce different sizes in M settings, so knowing what camera would help.

What is M? If you're shooting RAW the file size will be the same regardless of your quality setting. Typically around 12-20MB depending on the camera you have, which nets you around 200-400 photos on a 4GB card.

If you're shooting in Medium compressed JPEG then you should get upwards of 1500 photos on a 4GB card.

Also check if there's something else on the card. Maybe format it in camera and see if that changes things.

I use a Nikon D90 with an 8GB card. On RAW, I get about 530 pictures on it.

So about 300 on a 4 GB, sounds like you did really good.

What is M? If you're shooting RAW the file size will be the same regardless of your quality setting. Typically around 12-20MB depending on the camera you have, which nets you around 200-400 photos on a 4GB card.

I've never seen a RAW format that allows quality settings. it's either RAW or JPEG with quality and size options.

either way, the size of each file will be dependant on the quality settings, and the size which we know to be (M)edium on the camera, but we dont' the MP rading of M on this particular camera.

so, accurate answers can't be provided without more input from the OP.

Well, raw can change but only w/ canon and their Sraw settings.

Sounds like something else is on the card, reformat and see.

I'm pretty sure the M is the Medium quality JPEG setting, which should net you over 1000 pictures.

As suggested, definatly check to see if there is something else on the card.
Just because you uploaded your pictures to your PC doesn't mean they auto-erase from the card.

I use a Nikon D90 with an 8GB card. On RAW, I get about 530 pictures on it.

So about 300 on a 4 GB, sounds like you did really good.

I don't even get that many on my 8gb/d200 combo.. :confused:

D90 has the SDHC cards.

I sit here and look at the camera. It's set to RAW. I have room for "536" pictures. There are 6 pictures in the camera.

I can pull out the Sony and take a picture for you to see if you'd like.

I'm pretty sure By M she means Manual Mode lol

(keep in mind that my quality setting is set at M)
I'm pretty sure she is using medium quality JPEG setting....

It's narrowed down to she has a 50 mm 1.4 and a 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 from another thread. Flickr site is marked private, so you can't check the exif data to see the camera.

I have a 7.1 mp superzoom and I get roughly 500 shots on a 4 gig. If the camera is 12-15 mp, medium setting could be 10 mp which I would think that 300 shots would be a good estimate. All depends on what "medium" means for the camera.

Upon further investigation, she has shots from a "Canon EOS D30" posted.

From dpreview:

Image storage
Storage media CompactFlash Type I or II (Microdrive compatible) Image sizes 2,160 x 1,440
1,440 x 960
Images on a 16MB CF
Large / Fine ~12
Large / Normal ~ 22
Small / Fine ~ 22
Small / Normal ~ 40
RAW ~ 4

Recording formats JPEG (Fine / Normal)
CCD RAW (12-bits per pixel - about 4 MB per image)

D90 has the SDHC cards.

I sit here and look at the camera. It's set to RAW. I have room for "536" pictures. There are 6 pictures in the camera.

yep, i get about 540 for the initial estimate when using Extreme III 8GB cards, when using Transcend 8GB cards it estimates about 500 though. However, with either card, i usually end up with about 700 shots.

D90 has the SDHC cards.

yep, i get about 540 for the initial estimate when using Extreme III 8GB cards, when using Transcend 8GB cards it estimates about 500 though. However, with either card, i usually end up with about 700 shots.

For the SDHC cards, I won't run anything other than a Class 6. Write rate and buffer is killer for small sized jpg's on the auto shutter. More than the 4.5 frames / sec I feel.

How old is the card? Have you ever formatted the card? When you just delete a picture off the card it still leaves some trace data if I remember correctly. Though not much, so its a long shot but if you load the pictures on the computer, you might then want to consider formatting the card.

Most reactions

Back