Memory Card

kcon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know different pictures will be different file sizes but if i shoot in jpeg with a nikon d40 ( 6.1 megapixel ) approximately how many pictures can i fit on a 2 gig memory card?

check you camera's manual. they usually have a chart that will give you a guide lilne for how many images will fit on a card using various image quailty options.

About twice as many as a one gig card ;)

I usually shoot in RAW which gives me 136 pictures on a 1gb card in my Nikon D50 (same megapixels as the D40). If I remember correctly when shooting at the highest quality jpeg with my 1gb card I got around 230 pictures. But the manual should be able to tell you for sure.

I have the SanDisk Exteme III 2GB in my D40 and can get around 550-600 in JPEG and aound 340 RAW, I got 336 from the last concert I was at and they were RAW - 2 or 3 that I took in JPEG.

My D100 (also 6MP, same sensor as your D40 I think) fits about 275-300 pictures on a 1 gig card. (that's JPEG fine) RAW is about 95-110. The amount you get in the end depends on what you are taking pictures of, yadda yadda... (less data in image, less data on card)

Most reactions

Back