Memory Cards

cfaulds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im 16 and have just started taking photography seriously.

I just acquired the Canon 500D, 18-55mm, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm lens and some other accessories

(i like to make 'mini businesses' which makes me a few thousand - some of which i spent on this kit)

Now for a memory card, i got a Sandisk 8GB extreme 3 (20mb/s read/write speed)

Is this ok?

Do i need a bigger one? Do i need a faster one?

I cant think where/when i will take more than 1000 photos in a day (ill just back them up to external hard drive/laptop at the end of the day.
- How many do you take a day?

Is 20mb/s fast enough? I think it is as thats almost 4 photos a second. Is it worth upgrading to the 30 mb/s ?

Thanks in advance,
Callum

8 is ok honestly, as long as you're dumping it regularly and not going to run out of room while shooting a session.
I got my 16GB SDHC (the HC just means high capacity) card from Amazon brand new for $30. That's awesome. On my best setting on my D60 I can hold over 2,000 pictures.

Hi thanks for the quick response.

Yes sorry i meant SDHC.

I was thinking of getting a 16Gb. But i keep telling myself i dont need it. However if i go on holiday and on 1 day run out ill be really pis**d off with myself!

Callum

Haha, trust me, I thought I didn't need it either and now I don't know how I survived without it.

If you already have an 8gb card then why don't you just look at buying another 8gb card. It comes down to personal preference but I know quite a few people who are of the same opinion that more cards is safer. Personally I use 4gb cards and couldn't even imagine filling up one in a single shoot anyway. In terms of speed, yes you should be fine. I am not sure how fast your camera can shoot but I think you are more likely to hit the limitations on that before you find your memory card to be too slow.

I think im going to stick it out with the 8GB, see on average how many i take in a day of shooting on average, and then see if i should get another one. Im going skiing in Feb, and so ill see how many i take then - i can back them up at lunch and at end of day if need be! - But im sure ill be skiing more than taking photos!

If you already have an 8gb card then why don't you just look at buying another 8gb card. It comes down to personal preference but I know quite a few people who are of the same opinion that more cards is safer. Personally I use 4gb cards and couldn't even imagine filling up one in a single shoot anyway. In terms of speed, yes you should be fine. I am not sure how fast your camera can shoot but I think you are more likely to hit the limitations on that before you find your memory card to be too slow.
4 GB is the largest I use.

About half my cards are 4 GB and the other half are 2 GB. I don't want to loose more than 4 GB if a card craps out, and they do from time to time.

Swapping cards is quick and easy.

8Gb is sure very nice to have but I guess a 4Gb memory card would be just enough...:sexywink:

Most reactions

Back