Mentoring system suggestion

I am fairly new to photography and I am in the Dallas/Ft Worth area if there is anyone in my area thats available to do any mentoring.

Maybe have an incentive for the mentors, limit the number of "students" like a 3 to 1 ratio so it will not be overwhelming for the mentors. Maybe have small, manageable projects for the students. Finally take the students through one portion of the photography. For example, have them work on portraiture one week, then maybe macro the next if applicable. The students, will have to really do their fair share if the student wants to continue being mentored. I for one would like to be mentored. Great idea guys and good luck.

I tried that.
Bitter Jeweler's Evil School of Photography

It was hard.
Fun!

But time consuming.

I wish I had time for it.

The hardest part was coming up with the "course work" for the next project, while still trying to deal with the previous.
I'd like to do it again, but learned I would have to have everything ready before school starts.

The next thing was dealing with varying knowledge levels. Like the schools of old, with 5 grades in one classroom.

Oh, and my school was towards the creative aspects.
Dominantly had a school for the tech aspects. Fun times!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/groups/intro-your-dominant-abc-s.html

...I think the mentor program is a great idea, in theory, but it seems to be pretty outdated and unused. I'd love something like that if it actually works well, though.
Personally, I've kinda already got an "unofficial" mentor--they just don't necessarily KNOW it. ;)
The Mentoring program does seem to have fallen into disuse, but it does work. I can't speak for the other mentors, but I have at least one "Graduate" who is now making a good portion of their income from his/her photography....

I'll just say that the mentoring was never intended to be toward any specific goal other than progressing in photography. You don't have to be looking to go pro to join in :) Hobbyists are more than welcome

I'll just say that the mentoring was never intended to be toward any specific goal other than progressing in photography. You don't have to be looking to go pro to join in :) Hobbyists are more than welcome
Absolutely; just pointing out that it can work to great success (and tooting my own horn! :p ).

Glad I sparked some convo in here.

Honestly, this site in itself is a great mentor, simply reading and posting, you can learn who is here to help and give great info.

Having 1 on 1 tuteledge is an awesome thing as well, which is what led me to dig this out. I am very interested, there are a few people on here I would love some 1 on 1 attention from, but their names aren't on the list. lol. I almost sent you a message TI, but being the thread was old and you being a mod...I just assumed you were far too busy.

I do know how time consuming it can be though... especially when doing it out of the kindness of your heart vs. getting paid. When I was a personal trainer..only 25% of my business income was online training vs. in gym training, and it took up 90% of my time. That's not counting the free stuff I did online either. *scratches head*

I wish I had time for it.

The hardest part was coming up with the "course work" for the next project, while still trying to deal with the previous.
I'd like to do it again, but learned I would have to have everything ready before school starts.

The next thing was dealing with varying knowledge levels. Like the schools of old, with 5 grades in one classroom.

Oh, and my school was towards the creative aspects.
Dominantly had a school for the tech aspects. Fun times!

Intro to your Dominant ABC's - Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forum

Oh, I remember it well!! I almost signed up for it, but I didn't know if I could keep up. =)
I watched it every week wishing I would of joined in on the fun.

...just to add....I don't believe I am the only one...but I would be willing to bet...for any of you pro's...there are some of us that would be willing to pay a fee for such a thing. Not a huge sum obviously, but it's something to think about. Could always offer it as a donation to the sites funds if you don't want to actually take money yourself.

For people I was training on my site, I created a separate forum for "Online training" and they posted their stuff in there, it was only visible to the member paying for it. I had donation links via paypal on my main page to have them pay for it that way...I just used it towards site fees. It wasn't much, the amount of money wasn't the point. However, most people will take something more seriously if they are paying for it, people tend to toss aside free things...even advice from a pro. ;-)

Speaking from the mentor side, while it's nice that you feel that way, I certainly wouldn't (and nor I suspect would most of the others) want payment. Done as a 'one photographer helping another' there's much less pressure, and it's far more casual. The minute money enters the equation, then there can be expectations, increased pressure, etc. Let's say I come down with the flu the same day you send me your assignment shots. If you've paid me, I'm pretty much bound to drag my ass to the computer, whereas if it's casual, I PM you saying I'm sick and I'll get back to you...

I am in Arlington TX and would love to be mentored!

I shoot with a D7000 and I shoot mostly Boudoir! Although I do love shooting kids portraits!

I have 2 yrs experience but want to get better so I'm def wanting a mentor!

So is this program officially dead? If not I have some interest in it.

So is this program officially dead? If not I have some interest in it.
Most of the listed mentors are still active. If you see one that interests you, you can view their profile and see when they were last on the site. If it's been within a few weeks, you should be OK.

Most reactions

Back