Message in a Bottle

Bria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a third year student at the University of Wales Trinity St David studying Photography in the Arts. For my final major project I will be doing something quite interactive and I’m trying to find photographers who are enthusiastic about using film to take part.

Photographs once had a physical presence, something you could hold and own. Still something which could be reproduced but there would always be that first ‘original’ print which would be produced. Now the family photo album is something more of a digital archive. Not only is everything safely backed up on your computer or hard drive etc, the way photographs are shared on social media we have this sort of online archive which we can access from anywhere and regardless of if your phone has broken or you’ve lost your memory card, the images will always exist in these pockets of the internet.

What I want to do is bring back that feeling of having one photo. One copy which only exists as something physical. One negative and one photograph. Having no backup exist anywhere.

I plan to use medium format film and I will print one of each photo and then destroy the negative, recording the destruction. I will then actually post each photo to somebody around the world with a handwritten explanation of who I am and what I am doing. This process may be difficult to begin with as I have to learn to just let go of the photograph, knowing I may never see it again. It will remain as just a memory to me, something I can never reproduce or recapture. I will also ask each person who I write to repeat the process and send me back an original photo of whatever subject matter they see fit.

If you should choose to be involved please email me with a postal address at [email protected] .
Thank you in advance

Using Polaroids seems to produce the type of unique photos you're describing (in a different way of course, and I often shoot more than one photo albeit not identical w/ a Polaroid). I don't think digital photos are necessarily always safely backed up, or posted on websites that will preserve them, and the technology is expected to change so they may not be any more permanent than negatives (B&W anyway have lasted).

Anyway, I just couldn't destroy my negatives I don't think. (Not on purpose anyway!) I'm not sure if a lot of film photographers would, but maybe you'll find photographers willing to give it a try and have an interesting experience sharing photos & negatives around the world.

Welcome!

That project sounds interesting! And expensive. With purchasing film, processing, printing, and postage.

In the last 3 days over 30 people have chose to be involved from 9 different countries. It's very exciting which slightly outweighs the pain of how expensive it is!

In the last 3 days over 30 people have chose to be involved from 9 different countries. It's very exciting which slightly outweighs the pain of how expensive it is!

I plan to use medium format film and I will print one of each photo and then destroy the negative,
WHAT ??!! :aiwebs_016::ambivalence::boggled::confusion::concern::BangHead: Negative is the soul of film photography, you don't, just don't destroy the negative. Sharon is right. Do you want the uniqueness of a picture, shoot instant polaroid. I am just afraid, that this experiment of yours may not work as you wish. True photographer may destroy a negative of a picture he/she has no mental attachment to.

I plan to use medium format film and I will print one of each photo and then destroy the negative,
WHAT ??!! :aiwebs_016::ambivalence::boggled::confusion::concern::BangHead: Negative is the soul of film photography, you don't, just don't destroy the negative. Sharon is right. Do you want the uniqueness of a picture, shoot instant polaroid. I am just afraid, that this experiment of yours may not work as you wish. True photographer may destroy a negative of a picture he/she has no mental attachment to.

One might argue that throwing away the negative is the same as shooting with a Polaroid. :D

Recalls the "Chain Cammies" that circulated globally over a decade ago on the now all-but-dead photo.net. One shot per participant and the cameras were sent to the next shooter on the list. Not sure they didn't all end up MIA.

I'm down for it. Email sent.

People worship cameras
People worship techniques
Why not worship a single point in a process?
To be honest, this seems like exactly what it is, a student trying to find an unexploited niche.

i bet you would destroy all my dog negatives :rolleyes:

I like your idea, a lot. However, a flaw in your plan is the use of scanners to digitalise and reproduce prints. Even if you destroy the negatives, what is to stop the recipients of your prints doing this?

I like your idea, a lot. However, a flaw in your plan is the use of scanners to digitalise and reproduce prints. Even if you destroy the negatives, what is to stop the recipients of your prints doing this?
It is never as good as a wet print

I appreciate your feedback guys, good and not so good... Maybe I am "a student trying to find an unexploited niche" but what's so wrong with that? I understand there are flaws in my plan but that won't for a second stop me trying. When I send away my photos they'll be out of my control and the person who receives it will be able to do whatever they want with it, but isn't that pretty much what happens when you post a photo on the internet? I put this project out there 3 days ago and already I've had over 30 responses from people who want to be involved, from destinations all over the world, which amazes me as this started as an idea in the tiny city of Swansea in South Wales and I never imagined I could make it Global.

Keep it coming!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back