Messing with low key lighting again.

thebeatles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took these with a clamp light I got at Walmart and set it up camera right. Looking for that low light, high contrast, blend into background look. I used my friends Beretta and Ruger as subjects and desaturated in Lightroom. I am not really a gun person so I am not sure what angle is attractive to a gun enthusiast. If anyone has any tips on angles or points to emphasize, let me know. C&C is definitely encouraged. :thumbup: I have been inspired to try to get a good shot in this vein by dominantly, (I am in his ABC's of photography course and the last assignment covered this style.)
Thanks for looking!

4412460915_291e34703c.jpg

4413227628_af41e61a31.jpg

4413227150_d90c2873cf.jpg

Last edited:
I am not really a gun person so I am not sure what angle is attractive to a gun enthusiast.

IMO, the first has the best light angle aesthetically, since the slide edge provides a nice high level and the serrations have a good texture. Beyond that, it depends on whether you want to emphasize one particular part of the gun. #2 emphasizes the cylinder release pretty dramatically, which could be a desired effect under some circumstances.

Since when does a non-gun-enthusiast shell out the cash for a GP-100?

3rd one is a little too dark, you really can't see the whole subject well. Even if it I think about it as an commercial shot for a grip maker I think I would want more or maybe less. Hope that makes sense, but I agree 1 came out well

3rd one is a little too dark, you really can't see the whole subject well. Even if it I think about it as an commercial shot for a grip maker I think I would want more or maybe less. Hope that makes sense, but I agree 1 came out well

I agree that #3 is very dark. I think that the exclusion of the light adapter on the trigger guard, photo #3, would have been a wise decision as it detracts from the lighted section of the gun (just realized this! :lol:) In regards to the commercial aspect of the last shot, I would have to say that if I were trying to display a product in this situation, I would have used completely different light and angles. Thanks for the ideas! :thumbup:

#1 is my favorite, but from a aesthetic point of view I'd loose the laser sight. I think the outline of the frame would be better suited as the focal point without the blackness of the sight on the bottom.

#1 is my favorite, but from a aesthetic point of view I'd loose the laser sight. I think the outline of the frame would be better suited as the focal point without the blackness of the sight on the bottom.

Yeah, the tactical light may have been a poor choice. Next time I will try without. Thanks for your input. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back