Metate

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by abraxas, Mar 9, 2009.

1. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For hundreds if not thousands of years, the Yharetum, the People of the Pines, would sort their way through the thick hardwood forest of the mountain highlands to gather acorns and pine nuts. While the men would hunt deer, the woman would take their bounty and pound it into meal within the holes embedded in the boulders deepened by their grinding and pounding. The People are gone now, and the metate these women used sit lonely in the forest, serving only water provided by the snow melt and early spring rains to small birds looking for a sip in the cover of the now overgrown brush.

[​IMG]

2. Fox Paw

Fox Paw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting shot. Interesting place for a star.

3. KvnO

KvnO TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting story and nicely illustrated.

Thanks for sharing this.

4. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting response :)

Thank you.

I need to come up with about a dozen photos of the area. I'm trying to come up with some tricky stuff.

5. polymoog

polymoog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool, I remember seeing one of those grind holes on a trail last November ... Mastodon Peak Trail, in Joshua Tree National Park (good job I wrote the names down of all these trails I walked!)

6. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :) I've seen those. There's two or three off the trail on the right just as you're leaving Cottonwood Spring. I think one stone has two of them. The single one is very deep. You nailed it though. Good association.

I have pictures, but I've never put them online. Here's my notes on the area;

Cottonwood Spring

Mastodon Peak

I need to update my pages- these shots could have been taken as far back as 1997 or earlier.

Not that it makes a bit of difference (but since I have the info) Cottonwood Spring was a Cahuilla (Kah-wee-a) Indian cultural site in the Colorado Desert (southern) part of JTNP.

The shot posted here, also called mortar holes, are to the west about 30-40miles up in the San Bernardino Mountains used by Serrano (Yharetum)who also shared Joshua Tree, but the northern part of the park. More specifically known as Maringayam.

I didn't show it too clear because I was more interested in making it 'tricky', but there are actually 7 holes in this rock. Another nearby has 6.

7. polymoog

polymoog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes you're right, one of the stones did have two holes, I had a feeling you'd know about that trail :)

I took photos of them as well, but they didn't come out very well....

I haven't even heard of the San Bernadino Forest, will have to put that on my list of things to do the next time I get back to California :)

Nice website you have, very informative.

8. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A branch off that trail goes out to Lost Palms Oasis. That's a nice hike out there. Only the last 1/4-1/2 mile is strenuous when you drop into the secluded canyon. It's very nice, but I'm really no judge- I love it all around here. Down the wash from Cottonwood is a dry waterfall that looks really cool. Before that though, along the canyon walls are rocks where chuckwallas like to sun themselves.

Enough of that. I enjoy showing off my site. I've worked on it for about 12 years trying to make it a resouce for desert rats. Thank you.

9. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another impressive shot. I really enjoy this one (and the story you tell with it).

10. polymoog

polymoog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was going to do the Lost Palms turnoff, but didn't think I'd have time :grumpy: I saw a whole lot of different lizards during my 3 week trip, don't think any of them were chuckwallas though. Sorry for OT ;-)

11. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. Seems like most of my work doesn't make much sense without explanation, but I'm good with that. I set out to find this thing to shoot it, so I guess it'd require the description. Actually, my grand daughter found it, I just got her into the area- If these end up in print in a book (sometimes), it gives the book a sentimental value to me and whichever grandkid was with me.

You're not OT. 3 weeks?- I've never spent more than 4 days out there at a time. Was it all in the park?

12. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I disagree. I came back to the thread about 4 times before I read the text. The image stood very well on its town. The story merely added to the depth.