Des H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.deshodginsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guy's

Expecting a meteor shower in the next few hours, Would any of you know how to take a nice clear picture of the shower.the weather conditions are not great mostly cloudly and wet.but im hoping to maybe catch a clear window.

I would be very greatful if anybody could give me some advice on exposure f/stops etc if you could please...........Thanks guys

Depends on what your looking for? If you want to show the movement of the meteors you need to keep your shutter open pretty long. I'm not sure how fast they move. However when I take pictures of the sky at night...I use a about f/8- f/12. I'm new this too so I may be doing something wrong. However from what I'm concerened if you use a low f stop like f/4 your going to be not getting a far enough depth of field. You can always turn up your iso to take the pictures quicker if you want. The only problem with this is your going to get more noise ( less clarity )

Thats my 2 cents.. hoped it helped

When is this meteor shower? and is it just in ireland or will scotland see it too??

Ill be out for this too and im in USA

I'll be out, currently trying to find a good spot away from the city. (San Jose, CA)

I don't think you have to worry about the DOF too much when you're focusing that far out.

Well have a huge meteor shower picture thread showoff!

answering a few questions here sorry if i forget sombody...Think it can be seen from scotland.......dont want to up the iso..as i feel i would loose quality...

just need to be told what to do to be honest..my first night time photography was a bit of a disaster ...

answering a few questions here sorry if i forget sombody...Think it can be seen from scotland.......dont want to up the iso..as i feel i would loose quality...

just need to be told what to do to be honest..my first night time photography was a bit of a disaster ...
Go with long or longer exposures and high aperatures. Tripod is a MUST

alex i have the tripod.im using the canon 400D or the rebel xti for our friends in the states.....but not being a night photographer.i have no idea of the settings to use

Just mess around with the exposure time and F stop. Keep your iso at about 200 or 100 or so. Maybe 300 id say. And shoot raw, to have controll over WB after the shower is over cause it cant be recomposed!

Put it in manual...put it on a tripod...put the f stop from 8-12 then adjust the shutter speed till the light meter is in the middle. then take the picture and wait. If its too dark try either a longer shutter speed or try moving the f stop lower. And vice versa. Your shutter speed is probably going to be around 20-40 seconds depending on where your located and how much light is getting to the sensor.

I'm gonna go try. But my infrared remote is dead :( sucks

I likewise have been reading up on and thinking a lot about how to shoot the upcoming meteor shower. As far as fstop settings, I can't figure out why you would need to shoot at f8 or smaller, since you're focusing to infinity and DoF has no bearing at that distance really, as was mentioned previously. In fact, with using a smaller (larger #) fstop, you're limiting the results of what meteors will show up in your image, since the meteor will have to be much brighter to register at f8 than it would at say f2.

As far as shutter time, if you have a cable release don't be afraid to lock it in for a few minutes. If you have a lot of light pollution around you this could be a problem, but if you're away from city lights, you could just point directly up at the sky and expose for several minutes. Personally, I'm planning on shooting very wide from the top of a mountain and capturing distant city lights, while hopefully getting meteors in the sky above, we'll see how managing the light turns out. Then again, maybe I'll slap my 50mm 1.8 on as well and shoot wide open straight up at the sky.

I'm curious to see what others come up with after tonight!

i couldnt get any good pics. most likely cause i dont fully understand how to adjust my camera settings yet. but i got some sweet photos of the moon. lol.

Most reactions

Back