Metering Modes

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by JMD, Jan 15, 2009.

  1. JMD

    JMD TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2005
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    I'm wondering what mode everyone here uses to meter. I'm using a d50 and have the option of matrix, center weighted, and spot. I have found myself using more of the spot metering and ceter weighted so I can expose for a particular part of the image.

    However, I have been reading "Understanding Exposure" and it mentioned that for the most part it is better to shoot in matrix metering and to leave spot metering alone. So what do you all do?

    Justin
     
  2. Dionysus

    Dionysus TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2008
    Messages:
    454
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Newfield, NY
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    it doesnt say to stay away from spot metering..just that its not a noob friendly mode..you kind of need to know what you're doing w/ spot..spot is awesome in certain scenarios

    i use matrix/evaluative for a great majority of my pictures..but use spot very often.
     
  3. dEARlEADER

    dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,312
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    In time, you will learn to use whatever is effective for the shot you are looking for..

    If you are just starting out, using Matrix will provide better results than spot or center..... BUT WAIT...

    every once in a while you will come up with a shot that failed to meet your vision..... study what went wrong with these shots to make yourself a better photographer...

    shots with a wide dynamic range (lots of darks, lots of brights) might fool matrix into what to properly expose (simply because it's impossible to properly expose it all). It's then you must jump in and make a correction..... tell the camera what you are looking for...
     
  4. Big Mike

    Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2003
    Messages:
    33,822
    Likes Received:
    1,811
    Location:
    Edmonton
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I usually use centre weighted but I don't think about it too much. I tend to check the results (primarily the Histogram) and adjust my exposure accordingly.
     
  5. JMD

    JMD TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2005
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    Dionysus you are correct on that comment being for beginners and that was some poor drafting by me to leave that out of my post.
    I'll continue to play around with the modes on different shots and see what I come up with.

    Justin
     
  6. DexGtr

    DexGtr TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i usually have it at center weighted also..
     
  7. bhop

    bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    Messages:
    2,209
    Likes Received:
    236
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I use matrix on my cameras that have it. Since it meters the whole scene, I tend to get more keepers. Occasionally, I might switch to spot if i'm dealing with difficult lighting.
     
  8. xposurepro

    xposurepro TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    Kansas City
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would say I use center-weight about 90% of the time and spot metering the other 10% when I have to have precise control over the exposure due to tricky lighting or I need to accomplish a special creative effect .. like emphasizing selecting lighting. Think of it this way:
    Matrix = you have no control
    Center = you have control
    Spot = you have near total control
     
  9. AlexColeman

    AlexColeman TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1,732
    Likes Received:
    1
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    One of my function buttons is a spot override. Otherwise, I leave it in spot.
     
  10. ANDS!

    ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2006
    Messages:
    2,178
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Downtown
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Matrix metering can be dangerous to use, as it is super easy to fool the camera. Generally I just expose a "bar" or two below the recommended value and I'm good to go.
     

Share This Page