Metering, when will i ever get it!!!!!!!!!!!

I've not done it yet, because I don't have a tripod, but it is High Dynamic Range, and what it involves is taking multiple exposures of the exact same shot, then combining them all in either photoshop or some other software like photomatix.
Check out photomatix.com, or google HDR, or even search for it on this site. I think it's the way to go for lots of shots, and can't wait till I get there.

ok, so another quik question. why do you need to point the camera at anotherarea and then adjust the aperture/shutter before re composing? why not just point the camera at what u want to photograph and adjust the exposure there? ...
You don't need to readjust, if you don't want. For a shot like that, I'd start with 3 shoots. I'd point to dark end of the bench for a meter read, raise the camera to focus where I want, then take the shot. I'd repeat for the middle, and bright ends of the bench. Look closely in the preview, magnifying as necessary. If one is what you want, then great. If not you can meter in between the two shots you do like. Still not happy? Then you can play with manual settings. Keep in mind, as stated above, a camera can not 'see' the dynamic range your eyes do, so some shots just don't / can't happen in a single shot. I haven't played with them yet, but that's one reason some folks like HDR exposures.

... whats your opinion of that bench shot for example? I mean i wanted the left side of the bench more in focus but when i set the left bracket as my focus zone it simply refused to focus hence the only way i could focus was in the central bracket thus it changed the perspective i wanted in terms of the bench gradually getting less focussed as the pic moves to the right of thebench...plus as u said that lens, not great...is the 70-300 f4 a decent purchase?
To widen your DOF (depth of field) to get more of the bench in focus, you need a wider aperture. That often requires using a higher ISO so you can hand hold, and / or a tripod to get longer exposure times.

so ud point to the dark end for a meter read, then movethe amera to where u want it, but if u dont adjust the settings whats the point in the meter read? would u say this shot is not possible in 1 shot?

no but i can manualy take shots at various settings which is the same i guess?

i think i prefer this edit...

Bench-1.jpg

so ud point to the dark end for a meter read, then movethe amera to where u want it, but if u dont adjust the settings whats the point in the meter read?
It's just a way to do exposure bracketing. See Samanax's link above. Or you can just set the camera up to do this automatically.

..would u say this shot is not possible in 1 shot?
I wasn't there, so it's hard to say. You won't get the sky exposed properly and the dark bench, but if the bench is your subject, then a blowout sky might be acceptable: it all depends on what you want. If you want it all, then HDR would be a why to do so due to the high dynamic range of the shot.

puy, D40 does NOT have auto bracketing, it really sucks i wish i would've checked that first before getting it

Auto bracketing is handy but still you can bracket manually. You should be able to set your exposure compensation up or down by 1/3 steps. basically it would do the same thing as bracketing but you will have to make the changes yourself.

Auto bracketing is handy but still you can bracket manually. You should be able to set your exposure compensation up or down by 1/3 steps. basically it would do the same thing as bracketing but you will have to make the changes yourself.

yep, just dont move the cam ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back