Metering with the AE-1P

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by WinterNight, Dec 28, 2008.

1. WinterNight

WinterNight TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a very noobish question about metering with the AE-1 Program. Say for example i want to use an aperture of f/11, or any other f-stop, do i just keep selecting a film speed until the f/11 icon, or watever f-stop i chose, lights up inside the viewfinder? or is there an other way. also, what is meant by adding or subtracting an f-stop? in adding an f-stop do i choose the next f-stop with a smaller or larger number? and wen subtracting do i do something similar?

UPDATE: i read the manual, but still couldn't figure it out.

2. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK. Here's a crash course. Setting combinations that create a set amount of exposure are referred to as an exposure value. There is an exposure value index or EV index.

The EV Index assigns a value to shutter speed and aperture values. These values are added to acheive the exposure value.

Shutter speed values 1 sec(0) 1/2 sec(1) 1/4 sec(2) 1/8 sec(3) 1/15 sec(4) 1/30 sec(5) 1/60 sec(6) 1/125 sec(7) 1/250 sec(8) 1/500 sec(9) 1/1000 sec (10) and so on.

Aperture values f/1(0) f/1.4(1) f/2(2) f/2.8(3) f/4(4) f/5.6(5) f/8(6) f/11(7) f/16(8) f/22(9) f/32(10) and so on.

Let's say your meter calls for f/11 and 1/125th as an average exposure. the value of f/11 is 7 and the value for 1/125 sec is also 7. Add 7 to 7 and you reach an exposure value of 14. Any combination of shutter speed and aperture settings whose values add up to 14 will provide the same amount of exposure. (Examples: 1/60 @ f/16 (6+8=14); 1/500 @ f/5.6 (9+5=14))

So, in answer, I would concentrate more on changing your shutter speed and aperture setting to augment exposure. Light and film speed, that's another story for another time.

Hope this helped.

3. WinterNight

WinterNight TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes! that helps me out alot, thank u so much!!

4. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're welcome. Post any other questions you may have here and we'll be happy to assist you in any way that we can.

5. Rem

Rem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Aperture or F stop is the opening in the lens...the VOLUME of light alloew to reach the film in a period of time. Shutter speed determines the period of time.

Picture 2 water pipes. One allows twice the volume per sec. To get EQUAL amounts of water...you let that flow half as long......same deal.

Each aperture number or F-stop is twice the light of the next one. 5,6 is 2x the light of f 8. So.......1/30 at f 8 = 1/60 at 5.6

If you go too slow on shutter speed, without a tripod-you get motion blur.
    If you use a lens a max wide open aperture-you lose depth of field and don't get the lens's peak sharpness.
    You can use a faster, more sensitive film...but faster film sacrifices quality especially for a big blow up.

It's ALL about trade offs. Action? you need shutter speed. Macro? You want depth of field, Low light...gotta have film speed and a wide aperture