MF, LF, film or digital... and do I want to go there at all?

Get a hassalblad with a 30mm lens and look through the viewfinder at waist level where everthing is upside down, it will be fun.

--I have two high-end cameras, but I'm not convinced they're up to the task - the Canon 5D, and the Leica M8. The Canon has a bigger sensor, and the Leica has very sharp lenses---

I have also thought about going to MF digital. Have two nice MF film cameras one is a Hasselblad 500 that will work with Hasselblad’s smallest digital back. But by specs the 5D is a better camera and defiantly more flexible to use at half the cost.

Most of the Canon 5D reviews I’ve read say it‘s as good or better that MF negative film, but not better that MF positive/slide film. That could just be marketing propaganda.

Going to LF film you need to think about the total workflow ever thing requires more time and work that MF or 35mm

I found this...

TC-SensorSize-FORMATS.gif

It's from this article.

Nice relative comparison, but it looks a little smaller (10-15%) than actual size on my screen.

Oh and I would also say that it there was a 'thread of the week' competition, this would get my nomination.

I have also thought about going to MF digital. Have two nice MF film cameras one is a Hasselblad 500 that will work with Hasselblad’s smallest digital back. But by specs the 5D is a better camera and defiantly more flexible to use at half the cost.

Most of the Canon 5D reviews I’ve read say it‘s as good or better that MF negative film, but not better that MF positive/slide film. That could just be marketing propaganda.

Going to LF film you need to think about the total workflow ever thing requires more time and work that MF or 35mm

I haven't read any good reviews of the Imacon/Blad digital backs, and none of the people I've spoken with who shoot MF digital like them either. Leaf seems the way to go these days.

Ok, it seems my initial research is going to be about figuring out how to use 4x5 film.

So... to loop back to the beginning: is there 4x5 Polaroid or other "instant" film available to check the shot?

Oh, and... what the heck am I looking at when composing the shot? Is it a Viewfinder? Does it have frame lines? What is Ground Glass? God knows it sounds lovely...

I will now start parsing a lot of your responses... I have been Googling my hands sore... (I know, there's a "blue" joke in there somewhere...)

Right, Italy - France Euro Cup game starts is 40 minutes. Let's hope they draw, then they both drop out.

Ok, it seems my initial research is going to be about figuring out how to use 4x5 film.

So... to loop back to the beginning: is there 4x5 Polaroid or other "instant" film available to check the shot?

Oh, and... what the heck am I looking at when composing the shot? Is it a Viewfinder? Does it have frame lines? What is Ground Glass? God knows it sounds lovely...

I will now start parsing a lot of your responses... I have been Googling my hands sore... (I know, there's a "blue" joke in there somewhere...)

Right, Italy - France Euro Cup game starts is 40 minutes. Let's hope they draw, then they both drop out.

Romania to win surely and leave them with nothing to play for regardless.

Ground glass - basically a flat glass plate that's has the surface ground down so that it's opaque. If goes where the film holder does whilst you're composing and gives you a surface on which to view the image and focus against. Very tactile, but prone to show finger prints at a guess...

I haven't read any good reviews of the Imacon/Blad digital backs, and none of the people I've spoken with who shoot MF digital like them either. Leaf seems the way to go these days.

Phase One backs are very popular here in New York.

Yes, see the note at the bottom of my first post in the thread.

As Chris says you usually, but not always, focus and compose on a ground glass, which shows an upside-down image. The glass is usually about the same size as the nominal format of the camera, but it may also have markings for smaller formats, such as when a roll film holder is used. It may have gridlines on it. It may be combined with a fresnel lens to improve the brightness of the image in the corners.

When you slide the film holder in, the ground glass is pushed back and the film ends up in the plane the glass used to be in.

Best,
Helen

... to loop back to the beginning: is there 4x5 Polaroid or other "instant" film available to check the shot?...

Good to see Holland actually playing for the win!

It looks very much as though Polaroid will become a thing of the past in all but name. FujiFilm continue to make quality instant film. I'm sure others will also in future.

However, for landscape work there really isn't much point in instant film for checking shots. Good metering is all you need. Instant film is great for checking studio flash lit shots. There's little point in using instant film with landscapes. The light changes constantly. And, if you're going to be that picky, instant film really isn't up to the job.

I'd still recommend going 10"x8" from scratch. Little point in reaching for anything other than the pinnacle if you're going LF. Digital really doesn't cut the mustard at this level. It's all about recording reality in the greatest detail without consideration for economics. Different matter if you're a pro studio shooter doing commercial stuff, but you're not - you're looking for something of far greater value.

Hmmm... I will take this under advisement. I think a lot of this will be a tactile decision, and frankly based on who teaches me what, with what gear.

Hmmm... I will take this under advisement. I think a lot of this will be a tactile decision, and frankly based on who teaches me what, with what gear.

I personally would be biased towards LF as well.

but it is bulky in a way.

Iron, at the risk of sounding like an idiot (which isn't much of a risk as it's so easy for me to do) I'd like to suggest that you -if you haven't already- read all 5 of Ansel Adams' books. If you are going to do this thing you might as well get off to a good start.

Also, even though 8x10 seems to be the way you're headed, you might want to look into a 4x5 with a 120/220 roll back attachment to start. There are even a couple of Graflexs that are MF scale models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-120-rol...ryZ29979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-Century...goryZ710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The reason behind this is that there is a whole new world out there available through the tilting and shifting of the front lens. Being able to use MF film would allow you to more readily have your shots developed and learn that much more rapidly.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Probably worth a mention on this thread is film availability.

I rate my choice of film as much as my choice of camera. Over the years I've learned what to expect from certain films in certain conditions. A quick search on the web reveals that my favourite Kodak, Fujifilm and Ilford films are still available as 10"x8" sheets, but you have to wonder how much longer they will be.

My hope is that even if Kodak and Fuji drop certain LF lines someone else will fill the remaining niché with a very similar alternative. However, that could well cost even more. Although 4x5 seems to be a more popular format today, the whole point of LF is about the ultimate quality and larger is still better. Maybe the demand for 10"x8" will outlast the demand for 4"x5"? Who knows?

Film lasts for years stored in the right conditions. If I was about to invest in a quality LF field camera I would be seriously tempted to invest in a spare fridge and several boxes of NC and VC 160, Velvia and FP4 and HP5. On the other hand, as I've already said; I think the niché market will be there to be filled forever.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back