micro 105 2.8G VR with D3200?

xFireSoul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So having my D3200 for a year and few months, I only got the 50mm lens and the standart kit lens.
So I found a very new unharmed Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED and I am wondering will I be able to take great quality pictures with it and my Nikon D3200?
I looked some samples in the internet, but I am not quiet sure if it'll pass my camera.

So having my D3200 for a year and few months, I only got the 50mm lens and the standart kit lens.
So I found a very new unharmed Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED and I am wondering will I be able to take great quality pictures with it and my Nikon D3200?
I looked some samples in the internet, but I am not quiet sure if it'll pass my camera.

The lens and camera will be capable of producing the most outstanding pictures that the photographer can produce.

Will I be able to shoot good quality portraits as well?

To take good pictures you need practice, not gear. Gear help, if you know what you're doing. And yes, the D3200 and the 105mm f/2.8 can produce excellent results, both at macro and at portraits. Other options are the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro and the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro.

See this comparison among these three lenses in a D3200 body:
Nikkor AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED on Nikon D3200 versus Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD Nikon on Nikon D3200 versus Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon on Nikon D3200 - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

Nikon and Tamron have the best overall score, but the Sigma is the sharpest among the three.

See also this 10 pages article, comparing 8 lenses, including these three above:
Best macro lens for Nikons: 8 tested | News | TechRadar

And its conclusion:
Best macro lens for Nikons: 8 tested: Verdict: best macro lens for Nikons | News | TechRadar

Final verdict
If you're serious about your macro photography, the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro is the ultimate lens for the job.

I ended opting for the 'Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro 1:1' lens, once it was sharper specially at macro level and small apertures, what is key for macro, and I use it with a D5200 and a D810. I've been very impressed by it. Here are some sample shots with this lens: Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro 1:1 - an album on Flickr

You cannot go wrong with any of these three lenses
- Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED 1:1
- Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD Nikon
- Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM 1:1

They are the best in the 90-105mm macro segment, by far.

Well, just looked at them both. The price for new Sigma lens is the same, as the price for the used nikon 105 lens.
Will Sigma lens work excellent in the portrait photoshoot, like the nikon version? I think that the better sharpness will be winning in this case but what you think?

You cannot go wrong with any of them...
They will both do fine, even with portraits. They're a good solution with you need/want a lens for both macro and portraits.

Just be aware that any of these lenses only achieve f/2.8 at infinity focus distance. At close focus distance, they have smaller apertures (higher f/#). This is a typical behavior for all macro lenses.

If you only want to do portraits, not needing the 1:1 macro feature, you'd probably be better getting this lens instead: Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G. No macro feature here, but an overall excellent portrait lens.

Because you're using the D3200 (crop frame sensor), you have to consider that for equivalency you'd need to multiply the 1.5x crop factor by the focal length and the aperture.

The 105mm f/2.8 will "behave" in your D3200 as a 157.5mm f/4.2 lens.
The 85mm f/1.8 will "behave" in your D3200 as a 127.5mm f/2.7 lens.

See this video for more info why this happens:

So, if you're only interested in portraiture, go with the Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G.
If you want the 1:1 macro feature as well, any of these three will do fine for you:

Thanks ruifo!
Well, I currently shoot mostly portraits as hobby and get some cash from time to time, but want to get it serious in future.
Also, I would love to shoot some macro, and I wanted to get lens from a long time.
So I will use the lens for both, but more often for portaits, that's why I need it to be perfect there as well. Or at least like the 50mm!
I'm going to test the nikon 105mm's version tomorrow in the shop, with my camera, so I can look over the photos later, and then decide If i am going to buy it.

Thank you.
Hopefully I will be able to decide which one to get.. But would be hard pick, as they are at same cost for me. New sigma or used, like new nikon..
As just some sharpness difference *as read on internet* meh.. It's gonna be hard.

Both will do a great job. One thing you might consider is the resale value of them. The Nikon will not depreciate like the Sigma will. In fact you could probably use the Nikon for several years and turn around and sell it for more than you are paying for it. Here is what KeH is selling used ones for right now. NIKON 105MM F/2.8 G MICRO ED-IF AF-S VR AUTOFOCUS LENS {62} - KEH Camera

You cannot go wrong with any of them...
They will both do fine, even with portraits. They're a good solution with you need/want a lens for both macro and portraits.

Just be aware that any of these lenses only achieve f/2.8 at infinity focus distance. At close focus distance, they have smaller apertures (higher f/#). This is a typical behavior for all macro lenses.

If you only want to do portraits, not needing the 1:1 macro feature, you'd probably be better getting this lens instead: Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G. No macro feature here, but an overall excellent portrait lens.

Because you're using the D3200 (crop frame sensor), you have to consider that for equivalency you'd need to multiply the 1.5x crop factor by the focal length and the aperture.

The 105mm f/2.8 will "behave" in your D3200 as a 157.5mm f/4.2 lens.
The 85mm f/1.8 will "behave" in your D3200 as a 127.5mm f/2.7 lens.

See this video for more info why this happens:

So, if you're only interested in portraiture, go with the Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G.
If you want the 1:1 macro feature as well, any of these three will do fine for you:

Whoa! That’s trippy how the micro 4/3 changes the hair around!

The 105mm Nikkor is a gold standard macro (micro) lens. It's hard to find a better lens for macro.
Spider-3-L.jpg

It is also a good portrait lens, but does have a characteristic you might want to know about. The bokeh produced is not the creamy, buttery stuff you get with say, the 85mm, (both f/1.8 and f/1.4) when there are specular highlights in the background. The 105mm will produce a cat-eyes bokeh.
Spotlight%20Santa-XL.jpg

85mm f/1.4 for comparison
85mm%201.4G-8-XL.jpg

When I went digital, Nikon was my choice for two reasons.
First, was the fit-in-my-mitt. Perfect!
Second, I always wanted Nikkor lenses since back in the 70's but couldn't afford it then. Now I can. Guess what? Never a disappointment.

So today I went to the shop and wanted to try both lenses. However, I could try only the Nikkor, because the Sigma lens was out of order.I tried it and I am pretty happy with the results. Tried to shoot some macro and portrait in the shop.
While shooting, I told the shop-assistant what are my intentions and he told me he would't suggest me getting a lens for portrait and macro in one.
I told him I will be shooting portraits more often with it, than the macros.

Then he gave me the 85mm 1.8G and told me it's better portrait lens and would be better, as if i want an upgrade to my 50mm.

But I am still undecided.. Really wished that the macro lens would be in great use for both portraits and macro.

Indeed. Looks like the Nikkor 105mm 2.8 bokeh is not so pleasant for portrait, as per the posts above, despite being very good for macro.

The Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 will always be the best options for a dedicated portrait lens.

But the bokeh of the Sigma 105mm 2.8 is pretty good and pleasant for portraits, that's for sure. See this bokeh, how smooth it is:
Whisk | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Colors! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
X-Mas Rememberance | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
etc...

Here are a series of portraits taken with the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM Macro 1:1:
Versengold | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Versengold | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Isabelle Grace | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Isabelle Grace | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_8469 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
04012015-IMG_2665 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
_DSC8731-2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Let's see who blinks first :) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Bengal Eagle Owl on Exmoor | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Portrait | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
far side | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The eyes have it... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Kookaburra | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
FFC16 (Final Fight Championship) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
DSC_0172_019 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
etc...

That makes me even more sure that I made myself the right option, by buying the "Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro 1:1". With it, I get great and smooth bokeh for portraits and the sharpest macro lens available for Nikon, with close to no distortion at all.

B&H has it, for Nikon mount, for USD $669.00, new:
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Nikon AF 258306

And for Canon mount for USD $559.95, used:
Used Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Canon 258101

Most reactions

New Topics

Back