Micro Stock

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tyson, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. Tyson

    Tyson TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2006
    Messages:
    652
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Newark Ohio
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is there anyone here that deals with a micro stock company that can help answer a few of my questions.
     
  2. darich

    darich TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Messages:
    1,230
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Near Lanark, Scotland
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Opinion is divided on the forum as far as i can make out as to whether they're good or not.
    My own opinion is that they massivley undercharge for images and so do photographers by using them but that's another dbate!!
    do a search for "microstock" here on the forum using the search tool and you'l find numerous threads and opinions on micro sites.
     
  3. Tyson

    Tyson TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2006
    Messages:
    652
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Newark Ohio
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok will do, I would still like to talk to someone that uses a stock company,
     
  4. darich

    darich TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Messages:
    1,230
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Near Lanark, Scotland
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a stock company called Photographers Direct
    They pay me 80% of the sale price and the remaining 20% is their commission.

    I've made one sale and received the money without hitch from the purchaser.

    That one image was sold for over £85 which means to get the same in a micro site i'd have had to sell around 170 images (or the same image 170 times!)

    I retained control for the image and i know what it was used for, where it was used and the limitations. Microsites sell the images on and they're royalty free meaning that once your image has been sold for $0.20c, or whatever it is, it can be used as often as the purchaser likes, in as many places and for whatever purpose without the photographer having any say or extra income.

    I think with Royalty Free you also woldn't get any credit for where your image was used. Mine was used in a calendar and i've a copy of my month (May 2007) and I'm credited as being the photographer and the image is clearly labelled as my copyright.

    if you have any questions about stock then feel free to ask. I don't mind PM but if it's kept in the thread it may help others :)
     
  5. ahelg

    ahelg TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2004
    Messages:
    338
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Durham, UK
    If you're concidering a micro stock company, you should also check out other agencies which charge higher prices. People complain that you would sell much less, but the higher price would probably even it out.

    But lets not start a war :)

    Also if youre picture is used in, lets say a magazine, and it was purchased from, for example, istock, your name would not be in the magazine, but iStock will be. So basicly their also taking credit for your work which is a shame. I've seen this myself when a Norwegian paper did an article about iStock and the "war" between pro and amateur photographers. They printed the top selling photograph on iStock and the only thing written under it was the name iStock, nothing else.
     

Share This Page