microphone stand to light stand adapter, do they make these?

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've got 5 or so old mic stands that I don't really use very often, is there any sort of specialized adapter that would allow me to use them as light stands? Or should I just go with an all purpose speedlight clip?

It should be easy enough to make your own adapter. Just get a clamp and attach a small ballhead and mount your flash on that. Easy as.

It should be easy enough to make your own adapter. Just get a clamp and attach a small ballhead and mount your flash on that. Easy as.

yeah, I was thinking a specialized adapter might be more stable, but I guess it wouldn't really matter anyway, lights aren't part of the optical chain. clamp adapter shouldn't have any problem with a speedlight I guess.

A Justin Clamp (or knockoff) should work great.

A Justin Clamp (or knockoff) should work great.

yeah, thanks, and you can never have too many of those things anyway. It's not like they'd go to waste if I stopped using them on the mic stands. Last bassist in my band was 6'10" so I even have a couple of custom made ones that will extend to 7' tall, haha.

Hold on, I thought something must be wrong when I wrote the post: that type of adapter comes with some AT mic holders, not always the mics themselves. Do your mic stands have 3/8-16 or 5/8-27 male threads? If they have 3/8-16 then you just need the 3/8-16 female to 5/8 stud. I had 'old mic stand' in my head - 'old' to me would mean a probable 5/8 thread.

Annoying intro, but shows how it's done. Pretty slick, really. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Annoying intro, but shows how it's done. Pretty slick, really. :)

I have those. They're not called Justin clamps though.

OP - Just watch the stability if you're using anything but a speedlight and small modifier. Mic stands aren't exactly made to support the weight that light stands are.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP - Just watch the stability if you're using anything but a speedlight and small modifier. Mic stands aren't exactly made to support the weight that light stands are.

Absolutely right. Other than that, the ultimate adaptor is called Duct Tape. Give me a hammer and a roll of Duct Tape, and I'll build you anything :lmao:

Every studio should have sandbags around. While it's not as important with speedlights, it's a good habit to get into.

Every studio should have sandbags around. While it's not as important with speedlights, it's a good habit to get into.

Even then, the base on a mic stand is generally much smaller than the base on a light stand. You can weight it down, but a wider sturdier base would be much better to have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back