Microsoft's Mojave

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Garbz, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    When a product is so bad that you need to trick people to use it, don't you think it's time to think of a new strategy?

Although I'm impressed with the effort. They needed to start an entire campaign, complete with domain name and the works to trick some people on camera into using Vista.

I can't help but wonder as I always do with these heavily biased campaigns how many people they ran this experiment with who told them it was a load of crap, before they got to a handful who actually enjoyed what can only be described as a "Vista inexperience".

After all the true experience comes when you get it out of the lab view of Microsoft's perfect computer and start to use it at home. I mean one guy was impressed with how fast it was. Either he has a 486 at home, or that laptop has about quad core, dual hdd, and 16gb of ram in it.

2. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    I think you may have missed the point. They let people use Vista without telling them it was Vista, and they liked it. Had they started out saying "This is Vista, play with it and tell us what you think" the results likely would have been different.

A lot of the people who run Vista daily also like it, myself included. I have some issues with it, but I have some issues with XP too. I also had issues with 95 and 3.1 and every variant in between, but the point is that most people right now seem to bash Vista because they heard from someone that it sucks, not from any actual experience.

I run it on a Lenovo T60 with 2GB of RAM (2Ghz Core Duo). I also ran it on 1 GB and it ran great.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  3. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

The point isn't that the product's so bad that you have to trick people to use it. The problem is that bad marketing and media exaggerations led to a serious public image issue where people who hadn't even used it had decided that it sucked. When they were shown what it was without their previous conceptions, it was revealed that it really wasn't so bad.

This has been the case with *every* person I've seen do it. I bashed Vista myself until I installed it last December. Now it's on all my machines and I can't bear to go back to XP. My dad was very distrustful of it and wanted XP on his next machine until I gave him my laptop and left him alone for a few hours. When I came back he didn't even have any questions for me, he simply said that he loved Vista and wanted that on his next machine.

4. Hawaii Five-O

Hawaii Five-O My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be

Photos OK to edit
    Vista does have some neat features, like how the minimized windows stack up sorta 3d and you can whats on them all. The only time I ran vista myself was the beta RC1. But I have used vista on my parents new computer too.

5. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Yay! more unfounded Vista bashing. The point is that Vista has an image problem, but once you disassociate it from the preconceived notions, it's a very good OS.

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have Vista. I like it a lot too. The only problems I've encountered are a few games/programs that won't work.

7. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been running an MSDN download of ultimate ever since a month after the release. It works great for me on my dell notebook.

I do have a problem with the home versions however as when I was trying to fix a friend's it appears that they didn't have the adminitrative tools tab in the control panel. I wasn't poking around too much, but that's something that should be there.

I have a MBP too that I use and I've had Photo Shop crash more on my on my Mac than on my Dell. I just prefer the layout on OS X more.

Apple didn't help them with those stupid commercials that bash windows to hell and back. A lot of them are just dumb myths that the average joe's going to believe when they hear it, something that actual computer users just laugh at.

Sure if you have a pc that's 3 years old, you may want to upgrade some components...it's a lot better than having to buy a new one though...

8. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I just love it when a thread like this completely backfires :D

9. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've had Vista for . . . I think more than a year now, and I haven't had any issues what so ever. Love it.

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow this isn't unfounded vista bashing. My distaste for it comes from personal experience. My sister runs it on her laptop, I use it at work. I have to setup new computers for childcare companies and guess what they use and I <under breath>even dual boot it on my desktop</under breath>

Maybe they give us Australians a different version but I don't know a single person here who's actually content with running it. My sister complains that her new laptop is as slow as the old one, on 3 machines I've used it each has a different horrid bug (the fav one here is that dialogue boxes fail to open, meaning I can't do anything at all) and I know some guy at uni who bought a laptop with vista, hated it, tried to load XP on it, failed (no driver support), and then bought a mac. :lol: Best one ever. I bought 3 identical laptops at the same time and 3 identical copies of office. During the install (all side by side) one of the laptops just wouldn't let the office install start, but it worked after the second reboot.

Anyway this is all beside the point. The real thing I was trying to say is does anyone actually believe these types of "experiments" I mean they didn't publish all the data did they. I still wonder how many people turned and asked the guy why the machine was so slow. Also these strict lab type experiments also don't show the dark side, they never do. I say give them a copy to play with for a week and see their expressions afterwards.

This isn't vista bashing, it's just bashing the experiment. I would be much more vocal when vista bashing. I mean look at what they got people to do. "Backup and restore" my computer can do that, "author a dvd" my computer can do that, "recording tv" windows media centre edition did that too this isn't even a new feature.
    The only thing interesting on that is "parental controls" which are probably easily circumvented by any teenager anyway. What responsible parent would pick this over say going and tucking their kid in anyway!