microtek M1 & Nikon 5000 Scanners

JC1220

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these scanners? Interested in actual scanning speeds, quality, etc.

I have a huge slide scanning project.
THanks,
JC

I have the 5000 and the M1 Pro. The M1 doesn't come close to the quality possible from the 5000, and the best quality is obtained by taping the unmounted film to the glass tray, which turns it into a slow process.

Scanning speed with the 5000 depends a lot on whether you are using ICE etc.

I only use the M1 for 8x10. The realistic resolution is probably less than 2400 ppi - something like 2000 ppi. If you use multi-exposure the resolution goes down below that.

Best,
Helen

Thanks Helen,
Most likely I would be initially scanning for display on a monitor / printing to a 5x7 size.

Speed with good quality are the keys, with the idea if something needs to be enlarged for printing to go back and rescan. I would prefer not to have to remove the film from its mount.

For a scan of the maximum slides at once with the Nikon, for what I have in mind, what is the realistic speed?

And, is the V ED worth looking at?

thanks,
JC

I compared scanners some time ago and found that the Nikon was the best choice....Do not rember all the facts, just that the Nikon came out on top.

Not very scientific, but.......

I compared scanners some time ago and found that the Nikon was the best choice....Do not rember all the facts, just that the Nikon came out on top.

Not very scientific, but.......

Well, it is all about seeing, the proof is in the visual!

The M1 attracted me due to its 12 slide holder, but if it takes 8 weeks to scan them and comes out like crap...

I'm not sure what the exact scan speed of the 5000 is, but at full resolution and 16 bits it is less than 30 seconds if ICE is off. The preview takes a little less than that. The official times are shorter than the practical times, because the scanner takes a little time to sort itself out after a slide has been inserted. I have three scanners in operation at once, out of the six I have, so I'm hardly ever waiting for a scan to finish.

I can't comment on the V because I have never used one.

I had big problems with the M1 film holders. Microtek are sending a replacement main holder, but it is on 12 weeks back order - maybe that means that they have had a lot of problems. The 12 weeks is up in early July for me, and I will be interested to see if the new holder is any better than the original one.

Mine does not hold the film frames tightly enough, so the slides vibrate ever so slightly during scanning. I found that the only way to get the best the scanner is capable of was to unmount the slides and tape the film to the glass film holder. The glass of that holder is between the lamp and the film rather than between the film and the sensor. My conclusion was that I was happy with the quality of scans from 8x10, but not from anything smaller.

Best,
Helen

Thanks Helen,

How many slides does the 5000 scan at once?

EDIT: Never mind on that question, looks like one at a time.

Any other brands I should look at?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back