Mid term paper - photography (can you do a real quick survey)

heavenlymom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.countlessmemoriesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am doing a paper for my mid terms about photography. I need professional and semi pro photographers to answer these ten questions for me . If you could do it I'd be more than happy and appreciate your help. If not then I thank you for at least reading this far. It's one of those papers where I have to put different people's opinions down. You wouldn't believe what class it was for even if I told you lol.

Please add your first name and or your business name and the number of years you have been in business for the study proposal. There is no need to get personal if you don't want to, just basic questions. Thanks.

1.How has photography changed for you in the past decade?

2.What is the hardest part of being a professional photographer in the field today?

3.What is your biggest challenge that you have had to overcome and triumph over since you started out in the photography business?

4.With the new methods of digital photography really taking off in the past five years do you feel that digital or film is more your style? Why?

5.What is the most challenging style of photography you have come across? Why?

6.What is the newest form of technology in photography that you believe will give an advantage to the field? Why?

7.What has changed the most for you over the decades in the field of photography?
8.What made you decide that photography was your choice of careers?

9. If you had to describe the most rewarding part of being a photographer what would it be?

10.Please describe the perfect portrait if you could picture one in your head? How about the perfect enviorment for a photography session?

Last edited:

I have really taken on learning the nuts and bolts of photography. Zone System, processing, exposure value, way past mere which aperture and shutter speed to use. I am no longer the snapshootist. I am a photographer. And I am continually learning and relearning things everyday through conversations with other photographers and reading through posts on forums such as TPF.

2.What is the hardest part of being a professional photographer in the field today?

I am no longer a 'professional' photographer although I do pick up the occasional gig. At the time when I was shooting for a buck I would say that the greatest challenge was just getting the customer to sign. There are a lot of 'photographers' out there that are flooding the market and, IMHO, lowering the public's opinion of photographers in general due to their lack of professionalism.

3.What is your biggest challenge that you have had to overcome and triumph over since you started out in the photography business?

To seperate myself from those without the professionalism I spoke of. Not so much as to make people think I am better but rather to be better in actuality.

4.With the new methods of digital photography really taking off in the past five years do you feel that digital or film is more your style? Why?

Film, far and above. I could easily move digital and still maintain or better my photography. But with film there are no do overs. Once the shutter is tripped you have made your exposure. With digital you have a cushion to be able to immediately review your shot to see if it needs to be adjusted. With film you have to know that you know your stuff and that your shot was dead on.

For me, street photography. I never wish to infringe on someone else's privacy. And to walk up to a complete stranger who is not at an event for which I am being paid to cover and ask if I could step into their life and take something from it, I have simply never been able to bring myself to do that and possibly never will. Not a skill thing, just a people thing.

6.What is the newest form of technology in photography that you believe will give an advantage to the field? Why?

Digital photography as a whole. This does afford more instant image adjustment capabilities as aforementioned and in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing in the first place it offers an edge never before seen in the history of photography.

7.What has changed the most for you over the decades in the field of photography?

My personal involvement in my photography. I have seen myself morph over the years from snapshootist to hobbyist to budding professional wanna be to professional to sick of the professional bs to seriously studying uber-hobbyist.

Now photography is not my career. I don't want it to be so. It was for a while and I found that it really brought my personal photography energy level so low that the thing I loved so was suffering. So I decided to get out. However it is my own choice of personal creative release because there is a lot that one need's to put into their craft if they expect to gain something in return.

9. If you had to describe the most rewarding part of being a photographer what would it be?

Self satisfaction in the work I have done. I know that whatever I have done in photography there is a little bit of my self, my soul in it and that is the legacy I leave behind for the legions of clickers yet to follow.

10.Please describe the perfect portrait if you could picture one in your head? How about the perfect enviorment for a photography session?

In one's most comfortable setting. Be it workplace or bar or car or in a field or on top of a mountain. The portrait not only has to mean something to the photographer but more importantly to the person being photographed.

The only recompence I require is the name of that class. Just curious.

Craig Blank Photography 7 years http://craigblankphotography.viewbook.com/

Of course the advent of digital photography has been the biggest change.

Marketing to a much broader range of photography buyers.

Developing my personal style to stand out from the rest of the many amazing photographers out there today.

Digital. Digi for me creates freedom to control every single pixel from camera to final image. Plus the in home 90 second photolab is something I have dreamed of since my earliest film days.

Editorial fashion and fashion in general. The work takes a whole team of talent. Getting everyone on the same page can be quite a challenge. When the shot comes together it is very rewarding for all.

I think the use of digital video by photographers will be the next step. Still photography will always be useful, but video will allow us to provide the client with an additional exciting product.

Again digi has changed the medium more then we currently realize. Clients have changed. Processing has changed. Marketing has changed. Can not put my finger on the biggest change.

I often wonder why I chose photography. As I look back I think photography chose me. A love at first sight type deal.

Generally being in the arts and photography is very rewarding. I am surrounded by beautiful things and people. We are all creative trying to produce a final product that has a very specific purpose.

Not sure if there is a perfect portrait. It would probably be Irving Penn photographing me. The perfect environment is a session where everyone involved is working hard and having fun. I picture being in the Black Rock Desert with 5 models 3 assistants a MUA an art director a jeep and lots of portable generators.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back