Midnight Moonlight

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
I've been wanting for years to get up into the high country during a full moon when there is some snow on the peaks. I was up there last night and got a few pictures. Here are a couple. Hopefully I'll get the time to edit a few more. Taken at 3-5 second exposure with ISO manually set to 100 to reduce noise. Edited with PS and then run through Neat Image to further reduce the noise. By leaving them fairly dark, I tried to get some of the feel of what it's like up there in the moonlight.

Part of Mt Princeton from Trout Creek Pass.

DSC07655re650.jpg

Another Collegiate peak (maybe Mt. Harvard) from South Park near Antero Reservoir. That small body of water sometimes drys into a classic western alkali flat.
DSC07694re650.jpg

These are wonderful.
For only 3 - 5 second exposures I must say that the snow is reflecting a surprising amount of light. That is very impressive. In both photos.
The second fiercely struggles to become my favourite of the two and it might be winning... ;)

Love the first shot drdan. Very nice!!

Wow, you have some great scenery around you. You did a great job of capturing it to. Nice work.

the first one is AWESOME !!!!!!

thats not the earth, thats the moon surface

Thanks!

If you ever get the opportunity for a trip to Colorado or any of the southwest or intermountain west, I think it's worth scheduling for a full moon. The dry air, especially with the thin air at high altitude, makes the moonlight much brighter than the eastern US usually sees. Combine that with some of the vast vistas and it can really be an experience.

wonderful shots drdan!
the second is beautiful.. so simple yet so captivating.. nicely done :thumbsup:

Most reactions

Back