Migrating from Point and Shoot to DSLR, need help deciding...

I was in the same boat where I could not afford more lenses and the Olympus made more sense to me. PLus I liked the IS in the body along with the live view. Plus at the price you quoted is really good as I paid $750 for my kit. Where did you get that price from? Make sure it is a reputable dealer because I have not seen a price that good.

If you are not that enamored with enamored with lots of megapixels, and I personally think that value is a little overrated for most amateur photographers, you might look at this:

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXTSKR.html

It's a Rebel XT, refurbished with 18-55 kit lens. Less than $400.00. That would leave you some money to buy a pretty good telephoto or macro. I personally have two XT's and an XTi. I use the XT's just as much as the XTi. You are just starting out, get something affordable and practice. Oh and you will want another lens sooner rather than later. This hobby is addictive.

Tom Hooper
Gary, Texas

The price you mentioned for the Olympus Evolt E-510 worry me as I just check a site that a lot of people say they are scammer are selling it for $477.00 now.

oh wow i just checked reseller ratings and they are indeed a bait and switch company... =[

amazon has it for 610, cheapest alternative i could find

yeah.. the two lens kit at that price seems too good to be true...

at Futureshop (canada) that kit comes to $769

hahaha wow ok so apparently broadway photo is linked to 10 other sites with similarly cheap products. im glad i found out before i put my money anywhere.

so that means that the 2 lens + body kid for the olympus is actually $610

i guess ill need to do some more shopping.

how big of an issue is dust? to my understand the XT has no anti-dust mechanisms right?

hahaha wow ok so apparently broadway photo is linked to 10 other sites with similarly cheap products. im glad i found out before i put my money anywhere.

so that means that the 2 lens + body kid for the olympus is actually $610

i guess ill need to do some more shopping.

how big of an issue is dust? to my understand the XT has no anti-dust mechanisms right?

Don't worry about the Anti-Dust stuff. Most of them does not work and if one brand does work, it does not work too well anyway.

alright if you say so, i was getting a bit discouraged with all these options and the crazy prices, but i think i will go with this refurbished XT, as an amateur it should suit me well until i can afford something better. I will hold off on my purchase for a few days in case someone has more input.

thanks again =]

I have a Canon Rebel XTi and im am SO happy with canon. I cant wait to get $$$ for a new lens. It is very addicting. I want the 70-200 F/2.8 IS USM and I came from having the Canon PowerShot S2 IS (advanced point and shoot) and I can say its a big step up and I love it!

I highly recommend a canon XTi or XT

hey rasheemo, you say lens are not important right now. But there is no good lens for all kinda of photography. So Picking a camera with the lens you want, or one day will want is very important.

But just like what I got. Any Digital SLR was better then my P&s

Most reactions

Back