Sarahbot2000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
CC welcome :)

IMG_4462.jpg

In combat or staged?

Staged... he doesn't have the right gear.

Where is this at? And what is the training scenario?

This was staged at a burned down building in my town. He just wanted some cool action shots just for fun.

Sky in the doorway is way blown out but will be hard to avoid without a strobe. He's holding the rifle very wrong. There's a weird black shape across the bottom. Decent concept though.

Go for a re-shoot and get a proper soldiers pose and set off a strobe at whatever power you need depending on the look you want. Then you'll have some idea of the inside/area the soldier is in and you will see the pretty sky (hopefully). Try the shoot near dusk to get a blue/orange sky.

Sky in the doorway is way blown out but will be hard to avoid without a strobe. He's holding the rifle very wrong. There's a weird black shape across the bottom. Decent concept though.

Go for a re-shoot and get a proper soldiers pose and set off a strobe at whatever power you need depending on the look you want. Then you'll have some idea of the inside/area the soldier is in and you will see the pretty sky (hopefully). Try the shoot near dusk to get a blue/orange sky.

Maybe it's because of my experience but the first thing I saw in the scene was him holding the rifle incorrectly and his stance being completely wrong.

First of all he'd most likely have his front knee on the ground (the one closest to the door opening) for stability. Secondly he's holding the rifle as if it were a porcelain doll. The AR-15 he's holding would recoil most likely right out of his hands.

I'm not saying every picture has to be spot-on, but to the majority of people that own and use firearms (or especially those of us in the military) things like that are kind of trance-breaking. It brings the "this is staged" feeling to the forefront.

Good idea for a picture, but definitely work on those things and the contrast. This would actually be a good candidate for some type of HDR scenario (light HDR, not heavy -- just enough to give definition to both him and the outside world).

Well I don't see any issue with his stance or weapons control, to me it looks like he duck walked towards the door and is about to pop the corner to the right.

His uniform is way off obviously, hes wearing green digi-camies which haven't been worn in a combat zone since 2001.
There is no Kevlar cover (his helmet ain't got no condom!)
Hes wearing jungle boots, not worn in combat anymore...
No flak-jacket, no gear at all really...
Last but not least, Green (or tan) Digis are NOT I repeat NOT worn by SOLDIERS.
They are worn by MARINES, RAH?

Obviously you and the "model" were out having fun and I've done the same before, but it wont fly for a combat photo. Aside from that I do like the photo...

Well I don't see any issue with his stance or weapons control, to me it looks like he duck walked towards the door and is about to pop the corner to the right.

His uniform is way off obviously, hes wearing green digi-camies which haven't been worn in a combat zone since 2001.
There is no Kevlar cover (his helmet ain't got no condom!)
Hes wearing jungle boots, not worn in combat anymore...
No flak-jacket, no gear at all really...
Last but not least, Green (or tan) Digis are NOT I repeat NOT worn by SOLDIERS.
They are worn by MARINES, RAH?

Obviously you and the "model" were out having fun and I've done the same before, but it wont fly for a combat photo. Aside from that I do like the photo...

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all branches of the armed forces use some sort of Digi camo? Even the air force and navy?

I remember an episode of mail call where they were talking about getting it for every branch

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all branches of the armed forces use some sort of Digi camo? Even the air force and navy?

I remember an episode of mail call where they were talking about getting it for every branch

Army has the ACUs which dont blend in with anything. Marines have the same pattern digicam but a jungle green and such...which look like they could blend in somewhere. Airforce has the tiger digi cam which is like our Army ACU but with light grey boots. And navy has like 15 uniforms, one of which is a dark blue digicam. I hope we go to multicam Army wide, if I go to Afghanistan I get to wear it.

For some cool action fun...

Then it was for fun and not being exactly correct.
I think this would be fun in HDR.

HDR would be neat, but be careful of overdoing it. The model needs to pose a little more correctly with the rifle. Looks like he's holding it out to show it off. It should be tucked in nice and tight.

If you goal was to replicate a "combat" situation, you have to pay attention to gear, as mentioned. But if it's a for fun, I'm a B-A type photo try putting more emphasis on the subject with a dramatic camera angle and pose.

And BTW, The AR-15/m4 aint got enough recoil to jump out of a little girl's hands. :mrgreen:

if he was firing the rifle it would be wrong, but hes holding it perfectly, except usually the stock would be collapsed when walking inside tight places.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back