Milky Way Reflections

Very nice image. Did you take this one in portrait mode as well? I ask because a portrait mode shot could have shown more of the Milky Way and its reflection in the water.

WesternGuy

Very nice image. Did you take this one in portrait mode as well? I ask because a portrait mode shot could have shown more of the Milky Way and its reflection in the water.

WesternGuy

Thank you! Yes, this an 8 shot VERTICAL panorama using a 20mm f/1.8G lens, which is pretty wide. Of course I would have loved to get more of the milky way, next time i'll try a multi row pano. :)

So to get that sunset effect are you shooting with a full or partial moon but waiting for it to just go down below the horizon line?

So to get that sunset effect are you shooting with a full or partial moon but waiting for it to just go down below the horizon line?

No, the 'sunset' effect is just light pollution from the Sacramento Valley. I'm about 2 hours away, in a remote wilderness area, but it's still present. if you go look at my instagram I have a panorama of a milky way, and you can see a weaker source of light pollution on the left side, coming from Tahoe.

WesternGuy

Thank you! Yes, this an 8 shot VERTICAL panorama using a 20mm f/1.8G lens, which is pretty wide. Of course I would have loved to get more of the milky way, next time i'll try a multi row pano. :)
Thanks for letting us know the techie stuff on how this was shot. I always appreciate knowing that sort of thing. That it was an 8 shot portrait mode pano makes me appreciate it even more - well done! :icon_thumbsup:

WesternGuy

WesternGuy

Thanks for letting us know the techie stuff on how this was shot. I always appreciate knowing that sort of thing. That it was an 8 shot portrait mode pano makes me appreciate it even more - well done! :icon_thumbsup:

WesternGuy

I appreciate the kind words friend. Yea it's not necessarily a walk in the park to get these. I've been practicing and researching for months. I definitely have SOOO much room for improvement, and once I get a star tracker, it's all over. :) And maybe a D810 down the road... lol

and once I get a star tracker, it's all over. :) And maybe a D810 down the road... lol
You and I are kindred souls. :)
But yes, this is a great shot and I love the way you are using the light pollution to add an extra layer effect. I followed you on 500px and look forward to seeing more.

nice scene, to be honest I'm not a fan of the processing though. Having your foreground be as bright or brighter than the night sky doesn't make visual sense. Bringing the exposure down on the foreground by a stop or two would make more sense, look more natural, and be a great image. I'll usually run my astro foregrounds for 5-10 minutes at a lower ISO (obviously less noise), but SOOC those longer exposures are way too bright. Better to ETTR with those exposures and bring the brightness down to look more natural and have a much cleaner final image.

nice scene, to be honest I'm not a fan of the processing though. Having your foreground be as bright or brighter than the night sky doesn't make visual sense. Bringing the exposure down on the foreground by a stop or two would make more sense, look more natural, and be a great image. I'll usually run my astro foregrounds for 5-10 minutes at a lower ISO (obviously less noise), but SOOC those longer exposures are way too bright. Better to ETTR with those exposures and bring the brightness down to look more natural and have a much cleaner final image.

I appreciate your feedback. I just got into astrophotography this past year so lately i've been experimenting with different techniques and editing styles. I agree this isn't realistic, but that was in no way my intention.

Thanks for the support!

and once I get a star tracker, it's all over. :) And maybe a D810 down the road... lol
You and I are kindred souls. :)
But yes, this is a great shot and I love the way you are using the light pollution to add an extra layer effect. I followed you on 500px and look forward to seeing more.

Thank you. I appreciate the follow, however I decided a while back to try and build my Instagram so I rarely post on 500px unless I think I can get a photo on the front page to a really high popular.

I love 500 px, it's just very competitive.

Wonderful! I was at Meadow Lake 1 summer just over Ca line from Reno. Were you anywhere near that or Donner Pass?

Thanks! I'm not familiar with Meadow Lake, where is it? Desolation, where this was taken, is in the general area around Donner pass. It's just southwest of lake Tahoe proper.

Superb shot!

I appreciate that!

I don't try to compete there, but sometimes I do have my images reach (what I think) is a lot of eyes. Mostly I do it because to me it's more attractive a set up than Flickr is and it works nicely on my phone to show people images on the go.

I don't try to compete there, but sometimes I do have my images reach (what I think) is a lot of eyes. Mostly I do it because to me it's more attractive a set up than Flickr is and it works nicely on my phone to show people images on the go.

hehehe I was half kidding. But in reality, like I said I am trying to build a following and 500px was just too hard. But for sure it's way better than, pretty much any website for publicly displaying high resolution photos for the masses. I've had a couple ones blow up too, it's stimulating!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back