Minolta Autocord focusing lever question

I have "fixed" her camera (OK, I bought another one for her).
It is an upgrade ... Minolta Autocord LMX.
The light meter is still accurate, and I was able to do a leather transfer.

MinoltaAutocordLMX.jpg

I have "fixed" her camera (OK, I bought another one for her).
It is an upgrade ... Minolta Autocord LMX.
The light meter is still accurate, and I was able to do a leather transfer.
That's a beauty! So what are you going to do with the broken one? Was it cheaper to buy this one than getting the other one fixed?

Ah, I noticed you have not put the Minolta on your blog.
I've been too lazy lately. I really should update the blog one of these days.

It was going to cost $125.00 to get it replaced by Karl ... and I got the LMX for $165.00.
I am going to use the broken one for parts in case I "break" something else on her camera ... actually I can't since I am not allowed to touch the new one.

You should update the blog with you Minolta, it would be a nice addition. There are not many people shooting with non-Rollei/Yashica TLR's.

It was going to cost $125.00 to get it replaced by Karl ... and I got the LMX for $165.00.
I am going to use the broken one for parts in case I "break" something else on her camera ... actually I can't since I am not allowed to touch the new one.
That makes perfect sense. I thought Karl's prices were more reasonable than $125, but then again my perception was based on the praise he got on the forums.

You should update the blog with you Minolta, it would be a nice addition. There are not many people shooting with non-Rollei/Yashica TLR's.
I will. I just need to start gathering some info, and there doesn't seem to be a lot about my particular version of Autocord out there. Or maybe I haven't been looking well enough :)

... I also found this note in an APUG post:

"Also, if you open the back door with the focus in the midrange, the back will swing and press to break/bend the focus lever."
Yes, I've just confirmed this (without breaking the lever, mind you). What were these engineers thinking?

"Only from the mind of Minolta."

I have not found much about the Model I either.
I wonder why they used the little "Minolta" on the name plate?
I see that yours has the odd strap lugs.

... I also found this note in an APUG post:

"Also, if you open the back door with the focus in the midrange, the back will swing and press to break/bend the focus lever."
Yes, I've just confirmed this (without breaking the lever, mind you). What were these engineers thinking?

"Only from the mind of Minolta."
LOL!

I wonder why they used the little "Minolta" on the name plate?
I wonder myself as well. When looking for photos of the Model I (prior to buying it), I found nameplates with either the small or the regular "Minolta". Either some of those photos were mislabeled, or there were two different series of the Model I. I need to look more into this.

I see that yours has the odd strap lugs.
Yes, it took me a while to understand how they worked :)

That makes perfect sense. I thought Karl's prices were more reasonable than $125, but then again my perception was based on the praise he got on the forums.

Actually the focus lever replacement seems reasonable ... as I think he gets a custom made part to replace them (I don't think he has the original part).

That's a beauty! So what are you going to do with the broken one?

I have picked up a couple more ... I am going to build two good one's out of the three.

Thinking I will keep one for myself, sell off the other, and keep the one scavenged one for parts.

The one that I just picked up has a solid focus lever ... I am thinking that the "swinging film back" may play a big part in this broken lever thing.

I have picked up a couple more ... I am going to build two good one's out of the three.

Thinking I will keep one for myself, sell off the other, and keep the one scavenged one for parts.
That's a smart idea. The one you sell off might even fetch you enough to pay for the others. Where did you get the new ones?

The one that I just picked up has a solid focus lever ... I am thinking that the "swinging film back" may play a big part in this broken lever thing.
I wouldn't be surprised...

FYI: if anyone needs some help with dis-assembly of Minolta Autocord L/LX ... I have three here that I am working on.
Tore down two of them ... and I should have two cleaned/lubed working ones soon.
Though I might only have enough leatherette for one.

Update ... looked into soldering but that does not seem like an option due to the low melting temp of the pot metal.
I will be attempting JB Weld ... it might be strong enough to hold it.

I will be creating a write up with images on my repair work ... if anyone has something specific to look at then inform me and I can add it to my doc.

JB Weld ... as I thought, is not strong enough.
Oh well.

Just cleaned and lubed the focusing helix and surrounding mechanism ... I can see why so many focus levers are broken by forcing the focus, on one of the cameras I have the grease was solidified in some spots. Had to scrape it off.

Most reactions

Back