Minolta Flash Meter IV

skyonfire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine just gave me this light meter. Unfortunately it did not come with a manual. I have gone to Minolta's website.. but none of the manuals they have are for the same model I have. Excuse this pic. It was taken with a crappy webcam. But I thought it might help.

lightmeter001.jpg

TIA
Amy

A friend gave that to you? Maybe you should pay if forward and send it to me ;) :lol:

I'm sure that if you can find a manual for any of the similar Minolta flash meters...it should work in the same way...at least enough to get you started.

Or...how about this?

Yeah he gave it to me for Christmas.. And sorry..you can't have it..:greenpbl:
The link that you gave me will probably work..

Amy

I had a similar one made by Sekonic in my studio. It is an excellent incident light meter in every way. Using it is fairly intuitive as long as you understand how these things do what they do.

Basically, you set the ISO and synch shutter speed on the LCD screen and plug the synch cord that would go to the camera into the PC socket of the meter. Place the meter at the subject with the white hemisphere facing the camera lens and fire the flash. It will provide an aperture recommendation based on the shutter speed you entered (usually the maximum flash synch speed for the camera.)

You can also use the meter for ambient light readings. It works the same way except you don't plug in or fire flash heads. There should be a button to switch the mode from ambient to flash. This and the Sekonic were the most popular studio flash meters in the pro ranks. It is a very good one and very reliable.

I think the problem you are having with finding a manual relates to the fact that Minolta doesn't exist any longer as a company. It was bought by Konica several years ago and the brand and products now belong to Sony. Any studio pro can show you how to use it.

Thanks. I figured out that much on my own.. I was more interested in figuring out what all the buttons on the side and top do.
I know that the "A" button allows me to average but I'm not sure what the "S" and "H" button do. I was also wondering about the side buttons that are marked "ExIn" and "Norm or Analyze" The rest of it as you said is pretty much self explanitory.

TIA
Amy

Most reactions

Back